Thursday, October 1, 2026

Review: Elvis and Me by Priscilla Beaulieu Presley




About the Book


Genre
Memoir, Non-Fiction

Format
Audiobook

Publisher
Blackstone Publishing

Release Date
September 19, 1985

Synopsis from Goodreads:

The inspiration for the major motion picture Priscilla directed by Sofia Coppola, this New York Times bestseller reveals the intimate story of Elvis Presley and Priscilla Presley, told by the woman who lived it.

Decades after his death, millions of fans continue to worship Elvis the legend. But very few knew him as Elvis the man. Here in her own words, Priscilla Presley tells the story of their love, revealing the details of their first meeting, their marriage, their affairs, their divorce, and the unbreakable bond that has remained long after his tragic death.

A tribute to both the man and the legend, Elvis and Me gives Elvis fans the world over an unprecedented look at the true life of the King of Rock ‘N’ Roll and the woman who loved him.

My Review

I listened to this one on audio.  I appreciated hearing it narrated by the author. Nobody could have the emotions for this story than Priscilla herself. She does a great job with it and pretty much tells it as she saw it. She tells the good along with the bad of a man many idolized.

She takes us on her journey from meeting Elvis to his tragic death. The author does a good job of portraying Elvis realistically and not making him out to be a saint. At the time this book was written, it appears that Priscilla had no animosity or anger toward him despite his controlling ways. She was quite young when she first got involved with Elvis.  She was 14 and he was 24. There were times it sounded like he treated her as a daughter instead of a wife. But, times were different. 

I was never a huge Elvis fan, but I did like his music and movies. I, also, like Priscilla - I used to watch her on the TV show Dallas. However, I did find this an interesting book.  I liked that Priscilla didn’t use the opportunity to bash her ex-husband. Instead, she just told us what happened. She, also, had a little laugh throughout the book which sometimes was cute and sometimes annoying. It depended on the situation she was discussing.

Now, I’ll have to watch the movie and see how it stands up to the book.




For reading challenges:

Alphabet Soup Reading Challenge 2026
Library Love Challenge 2026


Disclosure:  I borrowed this one from the library.  I was not required to write a positive review. All opinions expressed are my own.


4 comments:

  1. I'm glad you liked it and that she narrated it herself. I hope you enjoy the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This does sound good and like some interesting insight. I do like that she didn't bash him but just told the good and bad. I've visited Graceland (even though I'm not really a Presley fan) and found it interesting. If anything it made me feel a bit sorry for him. He was just a kid from nothing who ended up in a world he couldn't handle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad it was good. I grew up with my mom and grandma loving him. Watching the movies and then hearing over the radio one day that he had died.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will check it out. I read her most recent book and enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and visiting my blog! I always love reading comments and getting to know my readers!

After some careful consideration, I've decided to become an award-free blog. Although I appreciate and am honored by each and every award I've received, your comments and friendship are enough award for me. Thank you all so much for your thoughtfulness.

Due to way too many spam comments, I disabled the Anonymous User comments. We'll see if this works, otherwise I'll have to go back to word verification.