Monday, October 5, 2026

Review: Where There’s Smoke by Rachel Louise Adams

 



About the Book


Genre
Suspense, Thriller

Format
E-ARC

Publisher
Minotaur Books

Release Date
October 6, 2026


Synopsis from Goodreads:

Following the USA Today bestselling series debut, No Rest for the Wicked, Rachel Louise Adams returns with Where There’s Smoke.

A lot has happened in Dolores Hawthorne’s life since the events of last Halloween. She’s divorced, traded being a forensic pathologist for a job as a medical examiner, and now lives in small-town Wisconsin, close—but not too close—to her family.

Dolores doesn’t have much in the way of work, but that all changes when a body is found at the local slaughterhouse. Benedict Marcy owned Marcy’s Meats, and is affectionately called Mr. Mercy across the region. This high-profile case quickly catches the attention of Dolores’s friends at the FBI.

From the very beginning, this case is full of contradictions and surprises, and the team quickly learns someone is willing to go to extreme lengths to stop them from finding out the truth behind Benedict Marcy’s murder.

My Review

Medical Examiner, Dolores Hawthorne, is settling into her home in Wisconsin dealing with her family issues and a past she’d much sooner forget about. When the body of Benedict Marcy, owner of a local slaughterhouse, is found dead, Dolores is on the job to get to the bottom of this murder.

Benedict Marcy was a very popular and well-liked man, so it’s a shock that somebody could do this to him. Dolores teams up with the FBI and begins their investigation.

It’s one shocking twist after another in this captivating page-turner. This is not a cozy mystery and probably shouldn’t be read in the dark of night. Although I did because I’m crazy that way. I love a good spine-tingling drama that keeps me up late at night reading.  This one is that and more.

This is the second book in the series. Although the mystery is solved in this book, I recommend reading the first book, No Rest for the Wicked, prior to reading this one. It’s a much fuller reading experience to have the character’s entire background as you go through these exciting books. 






For reading challenges:

Literary Escapes Reading Challenge 2026 (Wisconsin)


Disclosure: I voluntarily reviewed a free Advance Reader Copy of this book from NetGalley and the publisher. I was not required to write a positive review.  All opinions expressed are my own.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and visiting my blog! I always love reading comments and getting to know my readers!

After some careful consideration, I've decided to become an award-free blog. Although I appreciate and am honored by each and every award I've received, your comments and friendship are enough award for me. Thank you all so much for your thoughtfulness.

Due to way too many spam comments, I disabled the Anonymous User comments. We'll see if this works, otherwise I'll have to go back to word verification.