Friday, September 27, 2019

Review: Last Pen Standing by Vivian Conroy


Genre:
Cozy Mystery

Format:
E-ARC

Publisher:
Poisoned Pen Press

Release Date:
September 24, 2019






Synopsis from Goodreads:


Will this paper trail run cold?

As the new co-owner of Tundish Montana's stationery shop WANTED, Delta Douglas knows how to organize a killer crafting event. Creativity and cardstock are all she needs to move one step closer to her ultimate dream: developing her own line of crafting products. But on the night of the workshop, at the swanky hotel venue, glitter isn't the only thing found sprawled on the floor. A hotel guest is discovered dead in the bar, and amid the confusion, Delta's best friend is suspected of the crime.

Enlisting the help of her Paper Posse and Spud, her canine sidekick, Delta dives into the investigation. But with many high-powered suspects on the line, Delta soon realizes her sleuthing may come with deadly consequences.

My Review

Delta Douglas is thrilled when her grandmother gives her the money to do whatever she wants with her life. It’s an easy choice for Delta. She goes into business with her best friend, Hazel, who owns a stationery shop called WANTED. Delta always loved crafting and a stationery shop is the perfect outlet for her. She moves to the small town of Tundish, Montana where the shop is located.

Delta immediately joins Hazel in giving a crafting workshop in a local hotel. Everything is going wonderful until they discover a dead body in the bar. Hazel and her brother, Finn, are immediately considered prime suspects and tossed into jail. It’s up to Delta to prove their innocence. Otherwise, her dream of opening a stationery shop will be over before it gets started. Nobody wants to have anything to do with a shop that’s involved in a murder investigation.

This is the first book in the Stationery Shop Mystery series and what a great start to a new series. The characters are quirky and are perfect to give a cozy atmosphere.   It's also fun that it's situated in a stationery shop.  That's a bit different than other cozy mystery settings.

I liked Delta from the start. The author gives her a great supporting cast with a potential romance, a cuddly dog, and a group of potential amateur sleuths calling themselves the Paper Posse. The storyline moved at a fast pace giving us many possible suspects. I was surprised at who the culprit turned out to be.

I enjoyed spending some time in Tundish Montana and I’m looking forward to another visit back there soon.


For reading challenges:
Craving for Cozies Reading Challenge 2019
Literary Escapes Reading Challenge 2019 (Montana)

FTC Disclosure: I voluntarily reviewed an Advance Reader Copy of this book from NetGalley and the publisher. I was not required to write a positive review. All opinions expressed are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and visiting my blog! I always love reading comments and getting to know my readers!

After some careful consideration, I've decided to become an award-free blog. Although I appreciate and am honored by each and every award I've received, your comments and friendship are enough award for me. Thank you all so much for your thoughtfulness.

Due to way too many spam comments, I disabled the Anonymous User comments. We'll see if this works, otherwise I'll have to go back to word verification.