Monday, October 23, 2023

Review: Purrs and Poison by Elle Wren Burke




About the Book


Genre
Paranormal, Cozy Mystery

Format
E-ARC

Release Date
October 31, 2023

Synopsis from Goodreads:

This talking cat's about to find himself in fur deep when one of the first humans to ever hear him becomes a murder suspect, and the cat’s his only alibi. You've got to be kitten me.

Brighton the talking cat finally has a cushy home with the purrfect sunny spot and a human family who can hear him, but all that's threatened when one of them is found standing over their poisoned landlord, a kindly ice cream shop owner. With Brighton being his human’s only alibi, he must put his superior feline stealth and intellect to use finding the real killer.

His only clue is a Revenge is pineapple sweet. But who would want revenge against a woman as sweet as the ice cream and chocolates she’s well-loved for?

When the killer realizes Brighton and his humans are investigating, it becomes clear they’ll stop at nothing to protect their secret. Can Brighton sniff out the killer before they snuff out him and his family?

My Review

Brighton, who prefers to be called Lord Brighton, is a talking cat.  Well, not all humans can hear him, but a few with their own paranormal abilities can.  He lives with Irene and his cousin/best friend Todd Catherwood.  They make a great team.  Kind of like the three musketeers with a little sleuthing on the side.

When a human friend of Brighton’s is murdered, he’s determined to find out who would do something like that to one of the sweetest people he knows.  In fact, the entire town of Prickly Pear, Arizona is stunned and horrified by the killing.

As Irene, Todd and Brighton search for a killer, they uncover a few secrets the victim had been keeping to herself.  It’s not long before they discover many potential suspects, including Todd.  No way is Brighton going to stand by and watch his best friend go to jail.  He quickly finds out that danger lurks in every corner.

What a wonderful start to a paranormal cozy mystery!  I loved it from page one.  Brighton had me laughing throughout the book.  He’s sassy.  He’s a smart aleck.  He’s a joy to read about.  At least that’s how this cat lover feels.  

Each character is crafted to perfection.  Irene and Brighton both suffer from chronic pain.  It is interesting to see how they deal with it as they try to solve a murder.

The storyline moves at a fast pace.  I couldn’t put it down.  It kept me guessing until the end.  I was quite surprised to see “whodunit”. 

This is an enchanting, captivating and engrossing story.  I devoured it.  I haven’t read this author before, but she’s now on my radar and I’ll be checking out her backlist for sure.

Overall, an excellent start to a new series.

A side note:  That cover is gorgeous!  


FTC Disclosure: I voluntarily reviewed a free Advance Reader Copy of this book from the author. I was not required to write a positive review.  All opinions expressed are my own.


2 comments:

  1. So glad you enjoyed this book! And yes, I'm in love with the cover. It is next on my list to read. I have copies of several of her books that I'm planning to read. If you're a seasonal reader like me, the first in her Vampire Pet Boutique series is set in the fall. I'm hoping to read that one soon. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and visiting my blog! I always love reading comments and getting to know my readers!

After some careful consideration, I've decided to become an award-free blog. Although I appreciate and am honored by each and every award I've received, your comments and friendship are enough award for me. Thank you all so much for your thoughtfulness.

Due to way too many spam comments, I disabled the Anonymous User comments. We'll see if this works, otherwise I'll have to go back to word verification.