Saturday, July 25, 2026

Review: The Astral Library by Kate Quinn

 



About the Book


Genre
Fantasy, Fiction

Format
E-Book

Publisher
William Morrow

Release Date
February 17, 2026

Synopsis from Goodreads:

Alexandria “Alix” Watson has learned one lesson from her barren childhood in the foster-care system: unlike people, books will never let you down. Working three dead-end jobs to make ends meet and knowing college is a pipe dream, Alix takes nightly refuge in the high-vaulted reading room at the Boston Public Library, escaping into her favorite fantasy novels and dreaming of far-off lands. Until the day she stumbles through a hidden door and meets the Librarian: the ageless, acerbic guardian of a hidden library where the desperate and the lost escape to new lives...inside their favorite books.

The Librarian takes a dazzled Alix under her wing, but before she can escape into the pages of her new life, a shadowy enemy emerges to threaten everyone the Astral Library has ever helped protect. Aided by a dashing 

costume-shop owner, Alix and the Librarian flee through the Regency drawing rooms of Jane Austen to the back alleys of Sherlock Holmes and the champagne-soaked parties of The Great Gatsby as danger draws inexorably closer. But who does their enemy really wish to destroy—Alix, the Librarian, or the Library itself?

My Review

Things are not looking good for Alix Watson. She’s lost everything. She’s devoted to books and visits the Boston Public Library every day. The best escape for her is a good book. 

Then, everything changes. She falls through a hidden door in the library and discovers the Astral Library with an ageless Librarian. Alix is taken on an adventure of a lifetime as she travels through some of her favorite books like Sherlock Holmes, The Great Gatsby and Jane Austen’s collection. However, all are not pleased with the Astral Library. Someone is out to destroy it. It’s up to Alix and the Librarian to stop their enemies.

What a fun book! I’m usually not a fan of the fantasy genre, but the setting grabbed my attention. I love books set in bookstores or libraries. 

The storyline moves at a fast-pace and is exciting. Readers are taken on a great adventure with wonderful, spunky characters. The ending is powerful and fun. 

This is a new-to-me author, but I’ll be checking her backlist.





For reading challenges:

Literary Escapes Reading Challenge 2026 (Massachusetts) 
Library Love Challenge 2026


I borrowed this one from the library.  I was not required to write a positive review. All opinions expressed are my own.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and visiting my blog! I always love reading comments and getting to know my readers!

After some careful consideration, I've decided to become an award-free blog. Although I appreciate and am honored by each and every award I've received, your comments and friendship are enough award for me. Thank you all so much for your thoughtfulness.

Due to way too many spam comments, I disabled the Anonymous User comments. We'll see if this works, otherwise I'll have to go back to word verification.