Friday, November 12, 2010

Book Blogger Hop - November 12th - 15th

Book Blogger Hop>


The blog hop is hosted by Jennifer at Crazy-for-Books

This week's question comes from Christina who blogs at All About YA Books:

"If you find a book that looks interesting but is part of a series, do you always start with the first title?"


My answer...

Absolutely! Yes, definitely! There have been times when I bought a book without realizing it was part of a series and had to go back and get the first book before I'd read it. The story itself usually stands alone, but it's the best way to really see the characters develop. Their actions in a later book don't always make sense, unless you know where they are coming from to start.

I've always loved series books, but I wish publishers would make it clear on the covers if a book is #1, #2, etc. etc. Often I'm searching on the internet to see the correct order of a series. It's not always in the book or on the cover. Personally, I think the easiest and clearest thing is to mark each book cover.

myspace comments
Friday MySpace Comments

8 comments:

  1. Hi,
    I'm stopping by for the Blog Hop and Follow Friday. I hope you have a great weekend. Happy Reading!


    Danielle @ Romance Book Junkies

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Friday, Yvonne! I am here from the Hop! Your idea about numbering books in a series is an interesting one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree. If it's part of a series, it should say so. Not making that clear can just annoy potential readers. Not a great marketing tactic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can dive right into the middle of a book series if the series' story
    doesn't run chronologically.

    That is to say, if each novel in a series is a stand-alone story (like Lee
    Child's Reacher novels) then I don't feel the need to start with book one.

    On the other hand, a series of books (like Richard Hatch's Battlestar
    Galactica novels) can't be read out of sequence since each new book builds
    upon the story of the previous entry in the series.

    Happy Book Blogger Hop Friday!

    Howard Sherman
    http://www.howardsherman.net

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for hopping thru and following! I'm with you on the whole clarity thing. I don't want to find myself accidently in the middle of story line.

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yup, First always first! LOL

    Happy FF! Hope you have a great reading weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Blog Hopping. Enjoy your weekend :)

    I also like to read series books in order.
    http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have to start with the first book in a series!!

    great blog!

    Girls with Books
    Teen Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and visiting my blog! I always love reading comments and getting to know my readers!

After some careful consideration, I've decided to become an award-free blog. Although I appreciate and am honored by each and every award I've received, your comments and friendship are enough award for me. Thank you all so much for your thoughtfulness.

Due to way too many spam comments, I disabled the Anonymous User comments. We'll see if this works, otherwise I'll have to go back to word verification.