Monday, August 26, 2013

Review/Interview: Murder of Sex by Geoffrey M. Gluckman


Genre:
Romantic Suspense

Publisher:
Booklocker.com, Inc.

Format:
E-Book

Release Date:
February 2013











Synopsis from Goodreads:

An incendiary tale of lust, passion, love, betrayal, and loss. Intimate sexual relationships may never be the same.

When Dr. Josh Flagon, a professor of literature at a moderate sized liberal arts Nevada university, is drawn to an irresistible co-ed, Rebecca Reaper, little does he know it will take him on a lustful, passionate, life-changing ride. It will also jeopardize all that he values—his career—and all that he seeks—freedom.

While teaching classes and writing, Flagon uncovers a secret that boils beneath his cool, scholarly veneer. Rebecca, a brilliant student and sensual siren, reveals that mystery and much more to the professor through their passionate tryst. But at what price? Is it worth killing for?

While the couple vacation on a secluded Hawaiian Island, a mysterious incident occurs that further challenges their relationship. From that point, Flagon’s life spirals out of control until be-friended by the unlikely, yet ever-wise Puerto Rican gangster, Jorge Luis Juarez.

In a haunting tale that weaves the literary with street smarts, passion with desolation, imprisonment with emancipation, and the desires of mankind with its origins, there thrives something to savor for every adult who has entered the intimate relationship arena and sought deeper answers to life’s questions.

This is one story that will make some gasp, many others smile, and take you into realms beyond.

My Review:

The story starts off in prison with Professor Josh Flagon telling his fellow inmates his story and how he wound up behind bars. It's an interesting way for the readers to learn everything from Josh's point of view.

Josh's story is both poignant and tragic. His obsession with women and sex, particularly his new girlfriend Rebecca, is sad and emotional. The author creates a scenario to grab the reader’s attention and take them into Josh’s world of sex and betrayal. He does a remarkable job of setting the stage and making the reader feel as if they are part of the story.

The book moves at a fast pace, for the most part. There were a couple of spots where I thought it moved kind of slow but then it would pick right up again. Geoffrey Gluckman has an excellent writing style and a real knack for keeping the reader guessing and engrossed in the book.

I do have to warn readers, there is some graphic sex and profanity used. It fits the story, but I know there are some readers who do not like this, so I wanted to put in a warning. If that’s something you don’t like to read, then you shouldn’t read this one.





FTC Disclosure: The author provided me with a copy of this book to review. This did not influence my thoughts and opinions in any way. All opinions expressed are my own.

Author Interview

I’d like to welcome author Geoffrey Gluckman to Socrates’ Book Review Blog. He is an author of mystery books, which happens to be one of my favorite reading genres. His recent book is Murder of Sex.

Welcome to our little blog, Geoffrey!




1) To start off, what influenced you to become a writer?

Really, at eight years of age, I realized that was what I wanted to do. I guess the enchantment that comes with a well-told tale enticed me, unconsciously.

2) Why mysteries? Have you written any other genres?

My first novel, Deadly Exchange, is an award-winning spy thriller. And Murder of Sex has mystery to it for sure, it also contains much deeper themes all mixed up with a blend of street smarts and literary sensibilities.

3) Did you read mysteries growing up? Any favorite authors or books?

I did read mysteries, like Agatha Christie, John Creasey, as well as adventure and spy thrillers, such as Alistair MacLean, Helen MacInnes, Len Deighton, Graham Greene.

4) How do your family and friends feel about your books?

Not sure really. I guess they like them. My mom liked Murder of Sex quite a bit, which surprised me.

6) Do you do any research for your writing? What is involved in the process?

Most of the books I write require a fair amount of research, which comes as the manuscript comes together (over many rewrites).

7) Are your characters based on any real-life people?

Readers/fans often think so, but it isn’t true. My imagination is pretty strong, so that’s where the characters come from, though sometimes aspects of real people may be mixed in.

8) Where do you come up with your ideas?

Imagination. Many times I hear a character’s voice in my head, telling me his/her story. Then, I’ve got to write it, as best I am able.

9) Do you have any advice for aspiring authors?

Read as much as you are able, and from a wide variety of authors and genres. Of course, write.

10) Can you give us a sneak peek at your future books?

The sequel to Deadly Exchange is more or less done and with any luck will be out late 2013 or early 2014. It’s called, The Secret Keepers.

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit us! Thank you so much for the opportunity to share with your readers.


2 comments:

  1. Interesting. What research did Gluckman do for this book I wonder? This one doesn't sound like one I'd enjoy but it does seem interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review and interview, Yvonne! The author has some very good advice for aspiring writers. The book sounds fascinating in a sinister way.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and visiting my blog! I always love reading comments and getting to know my readers!

After some careful consideration, I've decided to become an award-free blog. Although I appreciate and am honored by each and every award I've received, your comments and friendship are enough award for me. Thank you all so much for your thoughtfulness.

Due to way too many spam comments, I disabled the Anonymous User comments. We'll see if this works, otherwise I'll have to go back to word verification.