Sunday, May 3, 2020

Review: Trouble is Brewing by Ellie Alexander




Genre:
Cozy Mystery

Format:
E-Book

Publisher:
Minotaur Books

Release Date:
September 5, 2017








Synopsis from Goodreads:

Introducing Sloan Krause—main character of Death on Tap, the first in a new cozy series from Ellie Alexander!

Jules Capshaw, owner of the charming bakeshop Torte, meets Sloan Krause, who's in from out of town for the beer festival that has landed in Ashland, Oregon. Sloan is the brewmaster at the famed der Keller brewing company that operates out of Leavenworth, Washington, and she’s come to the festival to show off the newest spring brew. When Sloan drops in to Torte for a pistachio bar and a latte, she meets Jules, who is instantly smitten with the idea of incorporating beer into some baked goods. But when the two go off to sample some of der Keller’s brews, they realize that one of the kegs have gone missing. Is someone trying to steal the secret recipe? It’s up to Sloan and Jules to get to the bottom of this—and soon.

My Review

This is a novella which starts off a new cozy mystery series. I’ve been wanting to try this series and was very happy to see there is a short pre-quel. It features characters from Ellie Alexander’s Bakeshop Mystery series. I haven’t read either series before, but heard both were good. So, I figured this was a good way to find out.

I was right. I enjoyed the author’s writing style, her characters and the setting. The plot itself wasn’t all that complicated. Sloan Krause leaves her hometown of Leavenworth, Washington to attend a beer festival in Ashland Oregon. She meetings Jules Capshaw, who owns a bakeshop in Ashland. They hit it off right away and decide to sample the beer together.

Sloan’s family is displaying their own beer at the festival. When one of their kegs, containing a secret recipe, goes missing, Jules and Sloan are determined to find the thief.

This book can be read in a few hours. It left me wanting to read both series. It has likeable characters with an interesting setting. I’m in for more books by this author.

For reading challenges:
Literary Escapes Reading Challenge 2020 (Oregon)
Cruisin’ thru the Cozies Reading Challenge 2020
Cloak & Dagger Reading Challenge 2020

I borrowed this one from the library . All opinions expressed are my own.

1 comment:

  1. I haven't read the Sloan series (though I have several) but I love the series set around Torte! I need to pick this one up. It looks like lots of fun.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and visiting my blog! I always love reading comments and getting to know my readers!

After some careful consideration, I've decided to become an award-free blog. Although I appreciate and am honored by each and every award I've received, your comments and friendship are enough award for me. Thank you all so much for your thoughtfulness.

Due to way too many spam comments, I disabled the Anonymous User comments. We'll see if this works, otherwise I'll have to go back to word verification.