Thursday, August 10, 2023

Review: The Weekend Trip by Joanna Bolouri




About the Book 


Genre
Fiction, Romance

Format
E-ARC

Publisher
Bookouture

Release Date
August 7, 2023


Synopsis from Goodreads:

Five old friends. Two new partners. One big problem…

In Erin’s beachfront home in Ireland, I blink at my former best friends and laugh. Is it awkward we haven’t seen each other in ten years and nobody really knows why? Yes. So I pull out the champagne with a flourish and start blasting our old playlist. It’s a reunion weekend, after all…

But it’s not long before my determination to have fun starts to fizzle. Perhaps inviting new partners was a mistake. I’m already exhausted by Becky’s new girlfriend, and Beth’s husband is trying too hard with the compliments. No, I’m not trying out a “cool silver highlights” look. It’s a grey hair.

Still, at least the others have partners. The most exciting romantic development I can report is a quick flirt with a handsome stranger on the plane over.

Even flighty, non-committal Tara is bringing someone. But if that wasn’t surprising enough, I could never have anticipated Tara’s ‘someone’ would be the man from my flight.

If things weren’t already awkward, they certainly are now…

The weekend was meant to finally bring us all back together. But will this reunion only push us further apart?

A hilarious and uplifting page-turner about the power (and pitfalls) of friendship and romance. Fans of rom-coms by Sophie Kinsella, Marian Keyes and Mhairi McFarlane will devour this laugh-out-loud tale.


My Review

It’s been ten years since Erin, Beth, Becky, Tara and Alex were together in Ireland at Erin’s beach home.  They were friends in college, but then all went their separate ways to live their lives. Erin plans a reunion for the women along with their current partners.

Not everyone has a partner, but it still should be a fun reunion. However, things don’t quite go the way Erin anticipates and tempers flare.  She fears none of their friendships will ever be the same after this one weekend.

This is a hard one to write a synopsis for since I don’t want to give anything away. It is a book about friendships.  Very real friendships that aren’t always perfect.  Sometimes they can be downright combative.

I really liked all of the main characters.  Each character is so completely different than the other.  It’s surprising, yet refreshing, to see friends get along even with their differences.  Each character is in a realistic situation.  

There’s a nice mixture of romance, humor and drama.  I was captivated through the entire book and wanted to see how it would all work out.  

I haven’t read anything by this author before, but I’ll certainly be looking for her backlist.  A very satisfying read for me.




For reading challenges:

NetGalley & Edelweiss Reading Challenge 2023


FTC Disclosure: I voluntarily reviewed a free Advance Reader Copy of this book from NetGalley and the publisher. I was not required to write a positive review.  All opinions  expressed are my own.


2 comments:

  1. It sounds like a nice summer read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love books about relationships be it romance or friendships. This sounds really good.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and visiting my blog! I always love reading comments and getting to know my readers!

After some careful consideration, I've decided to become an award-free blog. Although I appreciate and am honored by each and every award I've received, your comments and friendship are enough award for me. Thank you all so much for your thoughtfulness.

Due to way too many spam comments, I disabled the Anonymous User comments. We'll see if this works, otherwise I'll have to go back to word verification.