Saturday, June 29, 2024

Review: Requiem for A Mouse by Miranda James

 



About the Book 


Genre
Cozy Mystery

Format
E-ARC

Publisher
Berkley

Release date
June 25, 2024

Synopsis from Goodreads:

Librarian Charlie Harris and his ever-intuitive feline friend Diesel must catch a killer in a deadly game of cat and mouse where no one is who they seem to be…

At last, Charlie and Helen Louise’s wedding is only a month away. They’re busy preparing for the big day, and the last thing Charlie needs is a new mystery to solve. Enter Tara Martin, a shy, peculiar woman who has recently started working part-time at Helen Louise’s bistro and helping Charlie in the archive. Tara isn’t exactly friendly and she has an angry outburst at the library that leaves Charlie baffled. And then she abruptly leaves a catered housewarming party Charlie’s son Sean is throwing to celebrate his new home in the middle of her work shift. Before ducking out of the party, Tara looked terrified and Charlie wonders if she’s deliberately trying to escape notice. Is she hiding from someone?

When Tara is viciously attacked and lands in the hospital, Charlie knows his instincts were correct: Tara was in trouble and someone was after her. With the help of his much beloved cat, Diesel, Charlie digs deeper, and discovers shocking glimpses into Tara’s past that they could never have predicted. Will they catch the villain before Charlie’s own happily ever after with Helen Louise is ruined?

My Review

Charlie Harris’ life is about to change for the better as his wedding to his longtime girlfriend Helen Louise is right around the corner.  His faithful feline companion, Diesel, is right by his side.  With the wedding so close, Charlie promises his family he will stay out of any mystery investigations and simply do his job as a librarian.

Of course, things don't always go as planned.  Charlie’s new assistant, Tara Martin, is very strange and quiet.  She even attends a party at Charlie’s son’s house, but she leaves after having a sudden panic attack.  Charlie worries about his assistant and wonders if there is something going on that he should know about.

When Tara doesn’t show up for work and is the victim of a hit-and-run accident, Charlie is on the case.  He and Diesel plan to get to the bottom of this and find out who would do something so awful to Tara.  

This is the 16th book in the Cat in the Stacks series.  I’ve been reading this series for years.  There are a few I missed along the way, but I plan to catch up.  As a cat lover, this is high on my list of favorite cozy mysteries.  Diesel, of course, is my favorite character and as much a part of the story as any of the humans - even if he doesn’t speak.  He does manage to get his point across.

The story is fast paced.  The ending was a surprise to me.  I could not put this book down.  I was reading late into the night. 

Although this is a continuing series, the mystery is solved in this book.  It can be read as a standalone, but I think the true fun is starting this series from the first book and getting to know the characters. It’s a total joy for me to watch Charlie’s growth as a character and a family man.  I feel as if I’m part of the family, too.  It’s very much like visiting old friends with this book.  

I’m looking forward to the next one.  I’m hoping Charlie and Helen Louise will finally tie the knot.


For reading challenges:

The Purrfect Reading Challenge 2024
What An Animal Reading Challenge 2024
Cloak & Dagger Reading Challenge 2024
NetGalley & Edelweiss Reading Challenge 2024


FTC Disclosure: I voluntarily reviewed a free Advance Reader Copy of this book from NetGalley and the publisher. I was not required to write a positive review.  All opinions expressed are my own.

3 comments:

Thank you for stopping by and visiting my blog! I always love reading comments and getting to know my readers!

After some careful consideration, I've decided to become an award-free blog. Although I appreciate and am honored by each and every award I've received, your comments and friendship are enough award for me. Thank you all so much for your thoughtfulness.

Due to way too many spam comments, I disabled the Anonymous User comments. We'll see if this works, otherwise I'll have to go back to word verification.