About the Book
Synopsis from Goodreads:
The newest next thriller from #1 Bestselling Author Sarah Pekkanen combines a decades-old mystery with spine-tingling paranormal elements in this twisty novel of the seen and unseen.
Extrasensory perception.
The Gift.
A Sixth Sense.
Or something else….
In 1964, four remarkable young women at a prestigious university became the subjects of parapsychology experiments by a visionary scientist. On the cusp of a historic breakthrough, the women mysteriously vanished and the program was erased from history. Decades later, Riley Bell, newly divorced and desperate for a fresh start, accepts a caretaker job for an elderly widow named Betty. Riley steps into a home that is frozen in another era - no microwave, television, or cell phones, and Betty has never heard of the internet. Why has Betty lived in such profound isolation for so many years, and why does she need Riley now? As the story unfolds across two timelines - Betty’s 1960s era of 5 o’clock martinis and high-stakes experiments, and Riley’s quest to uncover the truth about the missing women - old secrets rise to the surface. And the only way to survive is to confront the mystery that has lingered for sixty years.
My Review
Riley Bell is trying to start her life over. She just went through a messy divorce and is looking for a new job. Betty Sadler is looking for a live-in caretaker. It’s the perfect situation for both. Riley is a bit stunned when she enters Betty’s home. It was as if she went back in time. There is no television or any of the modern conveniences of the 21st century. Certainly, no WiFi. Betty doesn’t even know what that means. Riley overlooks it all as she settles into her new position.
Betty is 81 and living a very solitary life. Riley can’t help but wonder why she’s living like this and why there doesn’t appear to be any friends or family in Betty’s life.
Riley learns that in 1964 Betty’s life completely changed. She had taken part in a parapsychology experiment with three other women. Those women all vanished and Betty’s the only one remaining. Riley is determined to find out what happened to the other women. Betty and Riley work together to discover the truth.
The story is told in two timelines—1964 and the present day. Some parts are disturbing, such as the experiments that were performed in 1964 and the treatment of women during that time.
I liked the close bond that formed between Riley and Betty. The supporting characters were well-written, and I would have liked to know more about them, especially the 1964 women.
It is a unique premise with everyone involved having some sort of paranormal ability. I was intrigued and couldn’t put the book down. I had to know how it would end. It was very suspenseful. A couple of times I held my breath.
I’ve read this author before and have enjoyed her work. This is another good one. I will continue to read her books and catch up on her backlist.
For reading challenges:
NetGalley & Edelweiss Reading Challenge 2026
Cloak & Dagger Reading Challenge 2026
Disclosure: I voluntarily reviewed a free Advance Reader Copy of this book from NetGalley and the publisher. I was not required to write a positive review. All opinions expressed are my own.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Thank you for stopping by and visiting my blog! I always love reading comments and getting to know my readers!
After some careful consideration, I've decided to become an award-free blog. Although I appreciate and am honored by each and every award I've received, your comments and friendship are enough award for me. Thank you all so much for your thoughtfulness.
Due to way too many spam comments, I disabled the Anonymous User comments. We'll see if this works, otherwise I'll have to go back to word verification.