About the Book
Synopsis from Goodreads:
Includes 5 Special Macaron Recipes!
French native Clémence Damour returns to Paris after traveling around the world for two years. She’s dog-sitting for her parents in the posh 16th arrondissement and overseeing the family patisserie, a famous franchise known for their delectable gourmet pastries and sweets in Paris and around the world.
To get off on the right foot with la gardienne, the caretaker of the apartment building, Clémence gives her a box of their luxury macarons. The next morning however, the half-eaten box of macarons is found near la gardienne's dead body. An incompetent inspector accuses Clémence of being the killer, which prompts her to clear her name and solve the case herself.
Join Clémence and her friends as they solve murder cases, bake macarons and other treats, and fall in love in The City of Lights.
My Review
Clemence Damour is the heiress to her parents’ successful patisserie. She returns home to Paris to take care of their shop, apartment and dog while her parents go out of the country to open another branch of their bakery. Clemence just completed her own traveling to other countries for the last two years, so she welcomes the chance to settle down for a little while.
Things are never dull, though. Shortly after she arrives, she finds the caretaker of the apartment building has been murdered. The caretaker had many enemies and wasn’t friendly to anyone, but Clemence finds herself top on their suspect list. With the help of her friends, she tries to prove her innocence.
This is a fast-paced, short murder mystery. It’s not very complex although there are quite a few potential suspects. The author gives us a nice introduction to the setting and characters. I’m looking forward to getting to know them all better as the series continues.
It’s filled with charm, mystery and a touch of Paris. I feel like I just had a quick visit and I do enjoy armchair traveling. It’s a delightful one-sitting read, and I will definitely be reading more of this series.
Side note: There are recipes for macarons included, but I haven’t tried them. So, I can’t vouch for them, but I do suddenly have a craving for macarons.
European Reading Challenge 2026 (France)
Disclosure: This one is from my own e-book collection. I received it as a freebie. I was not required to write a positive review. All opinions expressed are my own.

I read another book by this author in another series and didn't love it but I need to give her another try. This sounds like a fun read - and I'm not the hugest macaron fan so that should keep it from being too tempting!
ReplyDeleteI've never tried making macarons but they are good. This sounds good.
ReplyDeleteWhat a welcome home. It sounds like a good start to a series.
ReplyDelete