Wednesday, October 7, 2026

Review: Murder on 34th Street by Mariah Fredericks

 





About the Book


Genre
Mystery

Format
E-ARC

Publisher
Minotaur Books

Release Date
October 6, 2026

Synopsis from Goodreads:

New York, 1932. Grace Verlander is the secret beating heart of Macy’s. She’s the “assistant to the assistant to the someone who’s in charge”, the go-to person for keeping everything running smoothly behind-the-scenes at the famous, bustling store.

It’s not every day you get a letter from Santa Claus, but three days before the Macy’s annual Thanksgiving Day Parade, Grace arrives at work to find a note from the store Santa Claus in her someone has sent him a death threat. Shocked, Grace promises to look into it and speaks to the store detective about the parade’s security, confident that they’ve found a solution that will keep everyone safe. But on the day of the parade, despite all their precautions, a dead body is found on one of the floats.

Using her wits and deep knowledge of the ways of the place, Grace is determined to find the killer and seek justice―not just for the dead man, but to save the reputation of this iconic store from ruin.

Steeped in glittering glamor and nostalgic wonder, this is a remarkable, unpredictable mystery set in the evocative world of one of New York’s most memorable institutions.

My Review

It’s 1932 and almost Thanksgiving.  A big event in New York is the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade and Grace Verlander has her hands full preparing for the big day. After all, she’s the assistant who seems to be in charge of everything and everyone.  It’s up to her to make the parade a success.

When the store’s Santa Claus receives a threatening letter, Grace takes it seriously. The store’s security department is alerted and will be watching over this event.  Even with all the precautions they take, a dead body shows up on one of the floats. Grace is determined to find out who would want to kill Santa Claus.

There are so many potential suspects in this mystery.  The story takes so many twists and turns, it’s sometimes hard to keep up with them all.  It’s a clever tale with a motley cast of characters.

Originally being from New York, I knew I had to read this one and I wasn’t disappointed. The author brought me right into the story and made me feel like I was in the middle of it all. The holiday atmosphere came alive with each page.

Grace is a wonderful character. There’s a bit of romance involved, but the focus of the story is on the mystery which is always my preference. 

I was totally engrossed in this one.  Mariah Fredericks is a new-to-me author, but she won me over with this book.  I’ll definitely be checking out her backlist. 



Disclosure: I voluntarily reviewed a free Advance Reader Copy of this book from NetGalley and the publisher. I was not required to write a positive review.  All opinions expressed are my own.


1 comment:

  1. This looks so fun! I love the movie so a mystery in that setting sounds like perfect holiday reading.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and visiting my blog! I always love reading comments and getting to know my readers!

After some careful consideration, I've decided to become an award-free blog. Although I appreciate and am honored by each and every award I've received, your comments and friendship are enough award for me. Thank you all so much for your thoughtfulness.

Due to way too many spam comments, I disabled the Anonymous User comments. We'll see if this works, otherwise I'll have to go back to word verification.