Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Review: Decaffeinated Corpse by Cleo Coyle


Genre:
Cozy Mystery

Format:
Audio

Publisher:
Audiogo

Release Date:
April 2012






Synopsis from Goodreads:

When an old friend of her ex-husband develops the world's first botanically decaffeinated coffee bean and smuggles it into the country, Clare Cosi, manager of Village Blend, believes it's a business opportunity she needs to investigate...at least until the first dead body shows up.

My Review

It’s always nice to revisit my friends at the Village Blend and see what Clare Cosi and her crew are up to these days. I haven’t had a chance to read the print version, so I thought I’d catch up with the audio version.

This series works well on audio and it makes for a relaxing commute (I listen in the car on my way to and from work). The narrator’s voice is very pleasant and easy to listen to. After awhile, it feels like an old friend is telling you a story.

I like how Clare’s relationship with Mike Quinn is developing. Her scenes with her mother-in-law are wonderful. They almost have the makings of being Thelma and Louise - funny and exciting at the same time. Even her strained relationship with her husband is interesting. I’m sure we’re going to see more conflicts between Clare and her daughter as Joy starts developing relationships of her own.

This is the fifth entry in this series. The story itself keeps you guessing. I didn’t figure out who did it until Clare did.  It’s a well-rounded story and series. It has everything to keep readers coming back for more.



For reading challenges:
I Love Library Books Reading Challenge 2016
Cloak and Dagger Reading Challenge 2016

Source: I borrowed this from the local library. All opinions expressed are my own.



4 comments:

  1. Yikes! What a title! Enjoy; looks like fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read a more recent book in the series awhile ago and really enjoyed it. Thanks for reminding me that I need to go back and read the earlier books in the series. There were some characters (including Clare) that I really want to know better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another fun cozy! I just stumbled across this author earlier today on Goodreads. Always looking for more cozies.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and visiting my blog! I always love reading comments and getting to know my readers!

After some careful consideration, I've decided to become an award-free blog. Although I appreciate and am honored by each and every award I've received, your comments and friendship are enough award for me. Thank you all so much for your thoughtfulness.

Due to way too many spam comments, I disabled the Anonymous User comments. We'll see if this works, otherwise I'll have to go back to word verification.