Tuesday, June 27, 2023

Review: Genies and Gibberish by Elizabeth Pantley

 


About the Book


Genre
Paranormal, Cozy Mystery

Format
E-Book

Publisher
Better Beginnings, Inc.

Release Date
June 2023


Synopsis from Goodreads:

This club gets whooshed into a book. They become characters! To get out they must find the killer.

~ ~ ~

Whenever this group chooses a book, magic happens. The mystery comes to life, and they find themselves part of the story. To exit the book and get back home, they need to solve the mystery and reach The End.

This time, the club chooses a book set in a mansion atop the mountains of Arizona. They discover a strange antique oil lamp that contains a shocking surprise.

Could this enchanted lamp have something to do with their host’s fall from a door to nowhere? Or could he have been pushed out the door by one of the strange people who belong to the quirky group who live here?

This brave, crazy, motley group must work together to unravel the mystery in their latest inside-the-book journey.

This novella can be read as a standalone. It happens between books 4 and 5 in the Magical Mystery Book Club series.

My Review

This is a novella from the Magical Mystery Book Club series.  It’s #4.5 and it’s as much fun as the full-length books.  

I think I enjoy this series so much because it brings the characters into an actual book they are reading.  I know when I’m reading, I like to feel as if I’m part of the action. So, for me, it’s fun to read about characters who are right in the thick of things.  Plus, there’s a smart-aleck cat.  How can I possibly resist?

This time the gang heads to Arizona where they meet up with members from another book club, the Mountaintop Book Club.  This particular club is made up of some very strange people.  When the host of the Mountaintop Book Club ends up dead, they begin their investigation.  Everyone knows, they can’t go home until the mystery is solved.

Elizabeth Pantley has a knack for bringing to life some of the most quirkiest characters and making them seem real.  She transports me to a different location every time.  The series is enchanting and a pure delight to read.  I was not disappointed.  It had everything from many potential suspects to whacky characters and there's even a genie involved.  For a novella, this comes with a big storyline and much enjoyment.

I do suggest starting this series with the first book.  Although each mystery is contained and solved in each book, it’s so much more fun to see how the book club came about and their progression with time.

For reading challenges:

The Purrfect Reading Challenge 2023
What An Animal Reading Challenge 2023
Caving for Cozies Reading Challenge 2023
Literary Escapes Reading Challenge 2023 (Arizona)


Disclosure:  This one is a freebie I received from Prolific Works. I was not required to write a positive review.  All opinions expressed are my own.



4 comments:

  1. I also like to feel as if i am part of a book, this would be enjoyable to live vicariously.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This series is on my ever-growing TBR list. Sigh... Oh, by the way, you had mentioned having trouble finding Elle Wren Burke's newsletter. Here is the link. ON this page, there is a link at the top to sign up for her newsletter, then you'll receive Almost Fangmous for free. :-) https://elleburkeauthor.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like paranormal. That looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely love this premise! This looks like such a fun read and series.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and visiting my blog! I always love reading comments and getting to know my readers!

After some careful consideration, I've decided to become an award-free blog. Although I appreciate and am honored by each and every award I've received, your comments and friendship are enough award for me. Thank you all so much for your thoughtfulness.

Due to way too many spam comments, I disabled the Anonymous User comments. We'll see if this works, otherwise I'll have to go back to word verification.