Thursday, September 4, 2008

Booking Through Thursday



Question:

I was looking through books yesterday at the shops and saw all the Twilight books, which I know basically nothing about. What I do know is that I’m beginning to feel like I’m the *only* person who knows nothing about them.

Despite being almost broke and trying to save money, I almost bought the expensive book (Australian book prices are often completely nutty) just because I felt the need to be ‘up’ on what everyone else was reading.

Have you ever felt pressured to read something because ‘everyone else’ was reading it? Have you ever given in and read the book(s) in question or do you resist? If you are a reviewer, etc, do you feel it’s your duty to keep up on current trends?

My answer:

Sure, I did it with the Diana Gabadalon Outlander series. I heard so many raves about them and went out and bought the first three (I'm not sure if there were more after this) and I couldn't even finish the first one. It just wasn't for me. I did the same thing with the Meyer's Twilight books, but I haven't even tried them yet. The good thing about thos is that I recently read Meyer's The Host and loved it. So, I'm hoping I'll have the same results with the Twilight books.

I do think it's important to keep up with the current trends, but I also feel it's important to read what you like and not what you think you should like. There are too many books and not enough time for that. It's taken me a long time to realize that.

4 comments:

  1. I'm confused. You say you bought three of a series because of hype; yet did not finish a one. Yet you're going to buy Twilght? I guess you mean that you think you'll like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, thats a good question.
    When my blog friends are raving about a certain book or author, I do tend to read it too. I dont feel pressured though, I just feel like if so many people are reading it, and liking it, its worth my time.
    As a reviewer, I do try to keep up with reading and reviewing, but I'm not pressured to read any certain books.

    I loved 'The host' as well.

    http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Smilingsal - I bought the Outlander series because of the hype and couldn't finish the first one. I did the same with the Twilight series, but that was because I love the genre of the Twilight series. So, I was happy to hear about a series everyone was enjoying.

    Naida - I don't feel pressured either. It's more like my interest is peaked when I hear about a good series.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't pick up Diana Gabadalon Outlanders series despite the hypes; I suppose I'm still intimidated by the thickness, haha. But as for Stephenie Meyer's Twilight series, it's a different story because I've enjoyed the first book way before the hype. But I'm glad the series have lived up to their expectations though. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and visiting my blog! I always love reading comments and getting to know my readers!

After some careful consideration, I've decided to become an award-free blog. Although I appreciate and am honored by each and every award I've received, your comments and friendship are enough award for me. Thank you all so much for your thoughtfulness.

Due to way too many spam comments, I disabled the Anonymous User comments. We'll see if this works, otherwise I'll have to go back to word verification.