Monday, December 26, 2016

Review: The Seven-Course Christmas Killer by Rosie Genova




Genre:
Cozy Mystery

Format:
E-Book

Publisher:
Beyond the Page

Release Date:
November 27, 2106





Synopsis from Goodreads:

On Christmas Eve, someone might be sleeping with the fishes . . .

It’s December at the Casa Lido, which means only one thing: the Rienzi family’s traditional Christmas Eve celebration, including wine, song, and seven Italian seafood courses. As Victoria and Tim prep scungilli and calamari, Nonna directs the cooking until all is in readiness for the big night.

But the holiday cheer is interrupted by the attempted murder of Mayor Anne McCrae, who asks Vic to investigate. Trouble is, there are as many suspects as there are fishes on the Christmas Eve menu . . .

My Review

This novella is part of the “An Italian Kitchen Mystery” series. I’ve been wanting to read the series for a long time, but haven’t had a chance. I thought I would try this novella as my introduction. This one is actually #3.5, but it didn’t ruin my reading experience. I didn’t feel as if I was missing anything at all. I fell right into the story and picked up on the characters with no problem.  In fact, I adored the main character, Victoria, right from the start. She’s a wonderful, strong character and makes a good sleuthing team with her sister-in-law.

There were no murders in this story, as is usual in a cozy mystery, but there was intrigue and a mystery that needed solving. This is fast-paced and can be read easily in one sitting.  I couldn't put it down.

It always amazes me when an author can give a full story in a short novella and not leave the reader feeling as if they are missing something. Rosie Genova did it beautifully in this one.

Sadly, Penguin canceled this series but I’m hoping the author will continue it with another publisher. In the meantime, I will play catch up and read books 1 through 3. I’m looking forward to it.




I bought this one for my Kindle. All opinions expressed are my own.


1 comment:

  1. I love when a novella feels fully developed! I have the first book in the series but haven't gotten to it. I'm glad to see you enjoyed this so much. I need to dig my book out of my pile!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and visiting my blog! I always love reading comments and getting to know my readers!

After some careful consideration, I've decided to become an award-free blog. Although I appreciate and am honored by each and every award I've received, your comments and friendship are enough award for me. Thank you all so much for your thoughtfulness.

Due to way too many spam comments, I disabled the Anonymous User comments. We'll see if this works, otherwise I'll have to go back to word verification.