Tuesday, February 14, 2017

Review: Murder and Marinara by Rosie Genova


Genre:
Cozy Mystery

Format:
E-Book

Publisher:
NAL

Release Date:
October 1, 2013







Synopsis from Goodreads:

Hit whodunit writer Victoria Rienzi is getting back to her roots by working at her family’s Italian restaurant. But now in between plating pasta and pouring vino, she’ll have to find the secret ingredient in a murder....

When Victoria takes a break from penning her popular mystery series and moves back to the Jersey shore, she imagines sun, sand, and scents of fresh basil and simmering marinara sauce at the family restaurant, the Casa Lido. But her nonna’s recipes aren’t the only things getting stirred up in this Italian kitchen.

Their small town is up in arms over plans to film a new reality TV show, and when Victoria serves the show’s pushy producer his last meal, the Casa Lido staff finds itself embroiled in a murder investigation. Victoria wants to find the real killer, but there are as many suspects as tomatoes in her nonna’s garden. Now she’ll have to heat up her sleuthing skills quickly…before someone else gets a plateful of murder.

My Review

This is the first book in the “An Italian Kitchen Mystery” series and what an excellent start. The book is filled with humor, mystery, adventure and a strong cast of characters. I especially enjoyed the dynamics between Victoria and her Nonna…two headstrong, tough women going head to head but usually Nonna wins out. Still, it’s fun to be a spectator to their battles.

The storyline is an intriguing one and could have went in several different directions. Figuring it all out kept me thinking and interested. I really want to learn more about the Rienzi family as they seem like a close-knit group.

I think this might be one of the series that is ending, but I still have a couple of good books to read and I’m looking forward to it.



For reading challenges:
Alphabet Soup Reading Challenge 2017
2017 Foodies Read Reading Challenge
2017 Cruisin’ thru the Cozies Reading Challenge (Culinary)

I borrowed this one from my library. All opinions expressed are my own.


4 comments:

  1. I like books that keep you guessing.I checked the series out and love that two of the books have recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is one of the series that has been cancelled as well but I think the author might have switched to a different publishing company (hopefully!) I have this book and I think the next one in the series and have been looking forward to reading it. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it so much. Now I'm doubly excited!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the titles! all involving food.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a great series...sad that we have to worry for all our cozies now.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and visiting my blog! I always love reading comments and getting to know my readers!

After some careful consideration, I've decided to become an award-free blog. Although I appreciate and am honored by each and every award I've received, your comments and friendship are enough award for me. Thank you all so much for your thoughtfulness.

Due to way too many spam comments, I disabled the Anonymous User comments. We'll see if this works, otherwise I'll have to go back to word verification.