Tuesday, November 29, 2022

Review: Murder in the Meow by Daphne Hunt

 



About the Book


Genre
Cozy Mystery

Format
E-Book

Release Date
September 17, 2021


Synopsis from Goodreads:

Osiris may be descended from Egyptian Pharaoh cats, but even he’s not above solving a murder ... Will his new human, Pepper Park, a young American lawyer on a holiday, be up to the challenge?

This was supposed to be a normal vacation for me to get away from legal work. Just renting a little cottage in an idyllic English town for the summer. It wasn’t supposed to involve the two things I dread the most … murder and cats.

After just one day of being settled into my picture perfect life at the cottage, the man who lives in the fancy manor house next door ends up dead and a priceless Egyptian artifact from his travels goes missing and I’m the one to blame.

As if things are bad enough, being suspected of murder, this darn cat keeps showing up at my house every night, and he won’t leave me alone. I’m starting to suspect he’s trying to tell me something.

The last thing I want is to go sleuthing under cover of darkness in the English countryside to find a murderer with my only companion being a pushy Egyptian Mau cat, but it just might be what I have to do in order to enjoy the rest of my vacation.

My Review

Pepper Park is a real estate foreclosure attorney.  After working years without getting any time off, Pepper takes a vacation in a small village in England called Chelsworth.  Her intention is to get away from it all and have some relaxation time.  Unfortunately, things don’t turn out to be so easy.  Instead, she ends up in the middle of a murder investigation and even has to deal with a cat.  Pepper isn’t too fond of cats.

Osiris, the Egyptian Mau cat, is devastated when his human is a murder victim.  He wants to get to the bottom of this and he’s sure Pepper can help, even if she is one of the prime suspects.  He gently pushes her in the direction of conducting her own investigation, since the police don’t seem up to the task.

This is a cute cozy mystery filled with charm and sweetness.  Even the town is quaint and the perfect setting for a cozy mystery.

It’s told from the point of view of both Pepper and Osiris, the kitty.  Osiris can’t communicate verbally with humans but he has a way of getting his message across.  

This is the first book in the series and it’s off to a great start.  I fell in love with Pepper and Osiris right from the start. A new sleuthing duo!

It’s a short novella and can be read in one sitting.  It is the perfect cozy mystery for this cat lover.

For reading challenges:

What An Animal Reading Challenge 2022


Disclosure:  This one is from my own e-book collection. All opinions expressed are my own.



3 comments:

  1. This sounds like a good one. I am finally reading a cat-themed cozy right now - Escape Claws (Cat Lady Mystery 1), by Linda Reilly. I can't believe it's taken me this long to read it, as much as I love cats! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks good- I like the short ones. :) XO

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds so cute and I absolutely love the cover. This is definitely a novella I need to try.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and visiting my blog! I always love reading comments and getting to know my readers!

After some careful consideration, I've decided to become an award-free blog. Although I appreciate and am honored by each and every award I've received, your comments and friendship are enough award for me. Thank you all so much for your thoughtfulness.

Due to way too many spam comments, I disabled the Anonymous User comments. We'll see if this works, otherwise I'll have to go back to word verification.