Friday, January 20, 2023

Review: Cat Scratch Murder by Karen McSpade

 



About the Book


Genre
Paranormal, Cozy Mystery

Format
E-Book

Publisher
Newcastle Media

Release Date
January 10, 2023


Synopsis from Goodreads:

Magic in this witch’s family has a name: Trouble.

Meet Sidney Grace: Quirky journalist, Hesitant witch, Professional butterfingers.

Her grandmother believes Sidney’s talent for communicating with the dead makes her the most powerful witch in the family, but Sidney just wants to make it through the day without getting fired.

A young writer living in Boston, Sidney is far from the small wacky town of Crystal Beach, Florida, where her spell-happy grandmother retired. She is perfectly happy with her career, her four cats, and the fact that she hasn’t been on a date in… well, years. All is well until her estranged mother informs Sidney that her grandmother has been arrested for murdering a resident at her retirement community.

Sidney road-trips to Florida to discover that her grandmother has no alibi, her grandfather isn’t as dead as she thought he was, and one of her cats can speak. To make matters worse, the handsome Officer Reece is tough on criminals and even tougher on witches. Who cooked up the deadly scone? And why are residents at Shifting Sands suddenly disappearing?

Now, Sidney must embrace her own magical talents to prove her grandmother’s innocence and stop the killer bent on destroying anyone who gets in the way.

Read Cat Scratch Murder, book 1 in the Crystal Beach Magic Mystery Series, for a bewitchingly fun paranormal cozy mystery with charming characters that will keep you spellbound!

My Review

Journalist Sidney Grace is on a mission to save her grandmother, who has been arrested.  Sidney heads to her grandmother’s retirement community in Florida.  She can’t believe her grandmother is in jail for murder.  No way does Sidney think her beloved grandmother is a killer.

The police don’t seem to be interested in looking any further for the killer.  They are convinced the culprit is Sidney’s grandmother, who happens to be a witch.  A witch who happens to see Sidney’s dead grandfather.

Sidney has her work cut out for her, but she’s determined to prove her grandmother’s innocence.

I really enjoyed this short story.  The characters are lively, delightful and wacky.  It’s a quick read and can be read in one sitting.  For me, it was a few hours of pure fun and, yes, there are cats involved.  That always wins with me :)  A great start to a new series.


 

For reading challenges:

The Purrfect Reading Challenge 2023
What An Animal Reading Challenge 2023
Literary Escapes Reading Challenge 2023 (Florida)
Cruisin’ thru the Cozies Reading Challenge 2023
Alphabet Soup Reading Challenge 2023


Disclosure:  I borrowed this one from the Kindle Unlimited library.  I was not required to write a positive review. All opinions expressed are my own.



1 comment:

  1. I love paranormal cozies and this looks like a fun one! I love when they have to come to terms with their magical powers.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and visiting my blog! I always love reading comments and getting to know my readers!

After some careful consideration, I've decided to become an award-free blog. Although I appreciate and am honored by each and every award I've received, your comments and friendship are enough award for me. Thank you all so much for your thoughtfulness.

Due to way too many spam comments, I disabled the Anonymous User comments. We'll see if this works, otherwise I'll have to go back to word verification.