Wednesday, January 14, 2009

The Secret Between Us by Barbara Delinsky


Genre: Fiction

How far would a mother go to protect her child?

This is the dilemma facing divorcee Deborah Monroe. On a rainy evening, she and her teenaged daughter Grace are driving home with Grace at the wheel, when the car hits a man. The man turns out to be Grace’s teacher. He’s still alive, but unconscious. Making a quick decision, Deborah sends Grace home and takes full blame for the accident when the police arrive.

Deborah has a lot on her plate. Besides protecting her daughter, her son is facing a serious medical condition, her widower father has taken up drinking and her unmarried sister is pregnant. Toss in the victim’s wife threatening a lawsuit against Deborah and Grace being so torn by guilt she turns to shoplifting, Deborah has her hands full. When the victim’s brother enters the picture, he vows to find out the truth behind the accident. Deborah is not only scared for herself, but she’s scared for her daughter and what this could mean for the girl’s future.

It’s been a long time since I read a Barbara Delinsky book and this book made me realize how much I’ve missed her stories. This was an audio book that never lost my interest. A few times I didn’t even want to get out of my car until I heard what would happen next. The situation and the character’s actions were all realistic. This is a story that shows all good intentions aren’t necessarily the right thing and could possibly lead to serious ramifications.

The story flowed smoothly and was fast-paced. The characters were vividly portrayed with each word and the narrator’s voice brought them all to life. It’s a story that will bring tears to your eyes.

For Reading Challenge: Audio Book Challenge

6 comments:

  1. Great review! I'm going to see if our library has this one. I've never read or listened to anything of Delinksy's before, but this sounds really good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She's a wonderful author. I've read her before and never had a book I didn't like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review, Yvonne. I just love Barbara Delinsky. Lake News and Coast Road were really good too. I also have had Flirting with Pete on the tbr shelf for ages. I just haven't gotten around to it. You know what they say about too many books, too little time. It is so true.
    Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Terrific review. You make the book sound absolutely compelling!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wanted to let you know I have this link added under Mr. Linky for the 2009 Audiobook Challenge. Mr. Linky is working again. Let's hope it stays that way!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and visiting my blog! I always love reading comments and getting to know my readers!

After some careful consideration, I've decided to become an award-free blog. Although I appreciate and am honored by each and every award I've received, your comments and friendship are enough award for me. Thank you all so much for your thoughtfulness.

Due to way too many spam comments, I disabled the Anonymous User comments. We'll see if this works, otherwise I'll have to go back to word verification.