Saturday, April 17, 2010

Looking Back by Belva Plain




Genre: Fiction

Cecile, Norma and Amanda are as close as three college roommates can be. Cecile is classy from a wealthy family, Norma is from a wealthy family and a brainiac and Amanda is ambitious from a poverty-stricken family.

After they graduate, their lives move into different directions.

Amanda marries Norma’s older brother, but she wants more out of life and is never truly happy. Cecile marries the perfect man and they are happy, but unable to have the children they so desperately want. Norma is scared she’ll never marry because of a handicap she was born with.

When Amanda has an affair with her father-in-law, none of their lives are ever the same. All three women are thrown into a tangled web they can never escape. This story is filled with betrayal, drama and intrigue.

I listened to the audio version of this. It’s a good story, but some of the character’s actions drove me crazy. I couldn’t find a compelling reason for Amanda or Norma’s behaviors in the book, but still I found it an interesting book to listen to in the car. This is the second book I’ve read by Belva Plain and, overall, I do enjoy her writing.

3 comments:

  1. Yvonne, I hadn't heard of this author before but am now interested in her books. Thanks for a great review of Looking Back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never red a Plain boo, but perhaps I one day could at least try one :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. When the characters actions don't make sense to me, I find it so annoying. This does sound like a good read otherwise, but that would annoy me.
    http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and visiting my blog! I always love reading comments and getting to know my readers!

After some careful consideration, I've decided to become an award-free blog. Although I appreciate and am honored by each and every award I've received, your comments and friendship are enough award for me. Thank you all so much for your thoughtfulness.

Due to way too many spam comments, I disabled the Anonymous User comments. We'll see if this works, otherwise I'll have to go back to word verification.