Wednesday, May 30, 2018

Review: Chocolate Tiramisu Murder by Susan Gillard



Genre:
Cozy Mystery

Format:
E-Book

Publisher:
Guardian Publishing Group

Release Date:
June 12, 2016







Synopsis from Goodreads:

When Heather Shepherd has a run-in with a rude Italian actor on the first night of her honeymoon, she thinks nothing of it… until his body turns up in one of Venice’s canals the very next day.

She’s horrified, even more, when an Inspector comes knocking with questions for her and her newlywed husband. Heather decides she won’t let an impending arrest ruin her honeymoon, and with Ryan’s help, she sleuths her way from the kitchen of the hotel all the way to the top of entertainment in Venice. But Heather has to balance her honeymoon festivities with the case, and the harder she digs for the truth, the muddier the mystery becomes, thanks to a cast of eccentric and rather infuriated Italian suspects.

Heather must discover the truth, before the sweet coffee glaze on the donut that is her Honeymoon, dries out and she’s left with nothing but questions.

My Review

Heather and Ryan Shepherd are off to Venice for their honeymoon. Their expectations are high for a beautiful, romantic trip but things turn bad right from the start when an Italian actor is rude towards Heather. There’s an argument between the couple and the actor, but they try to get over it and enjoy their honeymoon.

Then, an inspector turns up in their hotel room to ask questions. It seems the actor has been murdered and their argument with him had been public. Heather and Ryan find themselves on the suspect list. Heather has had previous experience as a sleuth and plans to find out who really killed the nasty actor and clear their names.

It doesn’t take long for Heather to discover there is a long list of people who had bigger issues against the guy than the Shepherds. Heather has her work cut out for her to figure out who did it.

This is the 9th book in the Donut Hole Mystery series. Whenever I want a quick, light read between longer, intense books, I turn toward this series. I haven’t been disappointed yet. The mysteries aren’t very complicated. More often than not, I figure out who did it before the end. That was the case with this one as well. I thought it was obvious who the killer was, but I really enjoyed the diversion for a couple of hours.

I did find it odd that Heather was concerned about not being able to make donuts on her honeymoon. She was able to convince the hotel to give her part of the kitchen to do so whenever she wanted. I like donuts as much as the next person, but that wouldn’t be my priority on my honeymoon. LOL However, I’m not the baker Heather is :)

Still, I find this a fun series that doesn’t take itself too seriously. It’s enjoyable and makes me smile. Nothing wrong with that. I keep coming back for more.





For reading challenges:
Cruisin thru the Cozies Reading Challenge 2018
Craving for Cozies Reading Challenge 2018

Disclosure: I got this one as a Kindle freebie. I was not required to write a positive review. All opinions expressed are my own.

3 comments:

  1. Yvonne, I'm glad you enjoyed this cozy. It's fun to be able to figure out "whodunnit"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a fun series - and I do love donuts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the sound of this series and wish I'd gotten in at the beginning of it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and visiting my blog! I always love reading comments and getting to know my readers!

After some careful consideration, I've decided to become an award-free blog. Although I appreciate and am honored by each and every award I've received, your comments and friendship are enough award for me. Thank you all so much for your thoughtfulness.

Due to way too many spam comments, I disabled the Anonymous User comments. We'll see if this works, otherwise I'll have to go back to word verification.