Saturday, May 19, 2018

Review: Wicked River by Jenny Milchman


Genre:
Suspense, Thriller

Format:
E-ARC

Publisher:
Sourcebooks Landmark

Release Date:
May 1, 2018






Synopsis from Goodreads:

Six million acres of Adirondack forest separate Natalie and Doug Larson from civilization. For the newlyweds, an isolated, back country honeymoon seems ideal: a chance to start their lives together with an adventure, on their own. But just as Natalie and Doug begin to explore the dark interiors of their own hearts, as well as the depths of their love for each other, it becomes clear that they are not alone in the woods.

Because six million acres makes it easy for the wicked to hide. And even easier for someone to go missing for good.

As they struggle with the worst the wilderness has to offer, a man watches them, wielding the forest like a weapon. And once they are near his domain, he will do everything in his power to make sure they never walk out again.

My Review

It’s her wedding day and Natalie Abbott can’t wait to say “I Do”. Doug made all the arrangements for the honeymoon. They would leave the next day for a hiking trip in the Adirondacks. It’s not exactly the honeymoon Natalie dreamed about all her life, but Doug is excited about it, so she agrees.

They are on their own, going deep into the woods and putting their survival skills to good use. It doesn’t take long for them to realize they are not alone and danger lurks behind every tree. Their love may not be enough to get them out alive.

This book is aptly named as it is truly a wicked adventure. Hiking and camping is not my idea of a romantic honeymoon or any kind of vacation for that matter. After reading this, I’ll definitely be keeping it off my bucket list.

The characters are vividly portrayed and literally come to life on each page. You can feel their agony, their anger, their betrayal and their fear. The character growth in this story is very well developed, especially in Natalie’s case.

I felt like I was on a rollercoaster ride as I tried to figure out what was going on. Natalie and Doug are in danger every step of the way on what should have been a celebration of their marriage. This is a page-turner to say the least. It’s a well-written, captivating read. It’s the first time I’ve read anything by this author but it won’t be my last.




For reading challenges:
Alphabet Soup Reading Challenge 2018
Cloak & Dagger Reading Challenge 2018

FTC Disclosure: I voluntarily reviewed an Advance Reader Copy of this book from NetGalley and the publisher. I was not required to write a positive review. All opinions expressed are my own.

3 comments:

  1. This definitely sounds like a page turner and I think it would confirm my idea that backcountry camping is not for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like one to review on my blog and add to the ever growing reading list. I really like the sound of this one

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and visiting my blog! I always love reading comments and getting to know my readers!

After some careful consideration, I've decided to become an award-free blog. Although I appreciate and am honored by each and every award I've received, your comments and friendship are enough award for me. Thank you all so much for your thoughtfulness.

Due to way too many spam comments, I disabled the Anonymous User comments. We'll see if this works, otherwise I'll have to go back to word verification.