Monday, October 21, 2019

Review: Christmas Cow Bells by Mollie Cox Bryan



Genre:
Cozy Mystery

Format:
E-Book

Publisher:
Kensington

Release Date:
September 24, 2019






Synopsis from Goodreads:

The first novel in Mollie Cox Bryan’s brand new mystery series, set in the Blue Ridge Mountains, will keep you guessing until the cows come home . . .

Christmas is a time for new beginnings, so after her big breakup, Brynn MacAlister takes the gouda with the bad. With her three Red Devon cows, she settles in bucolic Shenandoah Springs, eager for a new life as an organic micro-dairy farmer and cheese-maker. Then her dear cow Petunia’s bellows set the whole town on edge. But it isn’t until Brynn’s neighbor, Nancy, dies in a mysterious fire that her feelings about small town life begin to curdle . . .

It seems some folks were not happy with Nancy’s plan to renovate the Old Glebe Church. But is a fear of change a motivation for murder? As a newcomer, Brynn can’t ignore the strange events happening just on the other side of her frosty pasture—and soon on her very own farm. Suddenly Christmas doesn’t feel so festive as everyone demands she muzzle sweet Petunia, and Brynn is wondering if someone wants to silence her—for good . . .

My Review

It’s Christmas in Shenandoah Springs but not everyone is in the holiday spirit. Brynn MacAlister is one of those people. After she breaks up with her boyfriend, she’s left to carry on with their original plans for a farm and to make cheese on her own. It’s a huge undertaking but she’s determined to succeed.

She quickly learns that newcomers aren’t easily accepted into the small town. Her neighbor, Nancy, is also new to town. Just as Brynn was getting closer to the woman, she dies in a fire. Some town folk were not happy with Nancy’s plans to renovate the Old Glebe Church. Could someone have taken drastic measures to stop Nancy? Brynn vows to get answers.

This is the first book in the new Buttermilk Creek Mystery series. I really enjoyed the wide range of characters as well as the fast-paced storyline. There were many possible suspects and I didn’t realize the true culprit until Brynn realized it. The author kept me guessing until the end.

I’m looking forward to reading more in this new, charming series.


For reading challenges:
Craving for Cozies Reading Challenge 2019



Disclosure:  I borrowed the e-book from my library. All opinions expressed are my own.

3 comments:

  1. This sure is very different than any book I've ever heard of. It sounds interesting and I love the cover!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should read this Christmas cozy, because the cover is adorable. Afterwards, I could add it to my cow collection. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and visiting my blog! I always love reading comments and getting to know my readers!

After some careful consideration, I've decided to become an award-free blog. Although I appreciate and am honored by each and every award I've received, your comments and friendship are enough award for me. Thank you all so much for your thoughtfulness.

Due to way too many spam comments, I disabled the Anonymous User comments. We'll see if this works, otherwise I'll have to go back to word verification.