Saturday, November 23, 2019

Review: Peppermint Fudge and Fears by Patti Benning



Genre:
Cozy Mystery

Format:
E-Book

Publisher
Summer Prescott Books

Release Date:
November 13, 2019









Synopsis from Goodreads:

A candy by any other name…

Might just be murder.

Candy shop owner, Candice Rothberg, formerly Candice Darling, is excited for Christmas. It’s hard not to be, in a town as festive as Lake Marion, Michigan. When Candice learns that a local bakery is hosting a gingerbread house building contest, she eagerly dives right in. With her background in candy and all things delicious, she plans to rock the contest, whether she wins it or not.

What starts out to be a fun and delicious contest, ends up being a holiday horror, when one of the competitors dies, under suspicious circumstances, leaving behind a mysterious candy wrapper and more questions than answers. When the killer targets a second victim, Candice realizes all of the mystery and intrigue, oddly, has something to do with her.

Will she figure out who the culprit is, before it’s too late?

Or will this be a season of suffering for Lake Marion?

Find out in this delectably action-packed Cozy Mystery!

My Review

Candice Rothberg is happily getting her candy shop ready for the Christmas season in her small Michigan town. When she hears about a gingerbread house contest, she quickly signs up. With her candy making skills, this is the perfect challenge for her.

As the competition begins, one of her fellow contestants suddenly dies. All the evidence left behind is a candy wrapper which looks suspiciously familiar to Candice. She hardly even knew the contestant but could this death have something to do with her?

This is the first book in Patti Benning’s Candy Covered Cozy Mystery Series. I didn’t find out until later that it’s a sequel to her Darling Deli series, but you don’t have to read it before reading this one. There are a couple of characters from the first series that were promoted to their own series. I never read the other series, but I plan to. I enjoyed this one very much.

It has likeable characters set in a small town. It’s not a complicated mystery, but it does keep you guessing and trying to figure things out right along with Candice.

It’s a short book, approximately 100 pages and the perfect book to read after reading a larger book. It was a great way to spend a couple of hours and leave me craving for candy.




For reading challenges:
Craving for the Cozies Reading Challenge 2019



This one is from my own Kindle library collection. All opinions expressed are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and visiting my blog! I always love reading comments and getting to know my readers!

After some careful consideration, I've decided to become an award-free blog. Although I appreciate and am honored by each and every award I've received, your comments and friendship are enough award for me. Thank you all so much for your thoughtfulness.

Due to way too many spam comments, I disabled the Anonymous User comments. We'll see if this works, otherwise I'll have to go back to word verification.