Thursday, September 16, 2021

Review: An Incantation of Cats by Clea Simon

About the Book



Genre
Paranormal, Cozy Mystery

Format
E-Book

Publisher
Polis Books

Release Date
January 14, 2020

Synopsis from Goodreads:

The new novel in Clea Simon’s spellbinding Witch Cats of Cambridge series! When two new clients seek Becca’s professional services, the fledgling witch detective is overjoyed. Finally, she can use her skills to help her magical community. But as the young witch finds the new cases intertwining, things grow more complicated. Becca’s three cats – the ones with the real power – can smell something is wrong with these clients. But not even Clara, the calico, knows what to do when a man ends up dead and a powerful and poisonous root appears – and disappears – in the case. To make matters worse, Clara and her littermates are feuding – and she can’t tell them about an unsettling interaction she’s had with one of the client’s sisters. Is it possible that some humans may have the same powers as the magical felines? What does that mean for Clara’s beloved Becca – and for the potent poison that has already taken one person’s life? In this second Witch Cats of Cambridge mystery, Clara and her sisters must learn to work together if they are to save the person they all love.

My Review


Becca Colwin and her three cats are back in the second book in the Witch Cats of Cambridge series.  This time she is starting her own witch detective business and she already has two new clients.  Unfortunately, both women work for the same shop and are accusing each other of crimes.  Becca has to tell one of them that it’s a conflict of interest to represent her in this case.

When a man dies under suspicious circumstances, both women are the prime suspects.  Becca is determined to find out what is going on, even though everyone around her tells her it’s safer to keep her distance.   She’s not going to let that stop her.

Becca’s three cats - who have special powers that Becca knows nothing about - are snooping around too.  The youngest cat, Clara, sticks close to Becca’s side without her ever suspecting a thing.  The cats anxiously try to protect their human, but things take a nasty turn and it could be quite dangerous for all of them.

Just like with the first book, the three cats were my favorite part of the book.  Well, actually my favorite is the youngest, Clara.  Her older sisters can be too nasty with her.  LOL  Becca is still a bit naive, but I like her.  She’s trying to establish herself and, with the help of her cats, she’s getting there.

The storyline moved at a steady pace.  There were a couple of slow spots, but then the book took off.  There were several different twists and turns.  I did have my suspicions about who the culprit was, but I didn’t put it together until the end.

This series is filled with charm, suspense, likeable characters and cats!  I’ll be reading the third book soon.



For reading challenges:
Craving the Cozies  Reading Challenge 2021

Disclosure:  I borrowed this one from the library . All opinions expressed are my own.


5 comments:

  1. Seems like a fun series with some savvy cats to safe the day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Witch detective and her magic cats?! This sounds delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh how fun. I love cats stories.

    Have a fabulous day. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds fun and I love cat cozies! I need to try this series.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and visiting my blog! I always love reading comments and getting to know my readers!

After some careful consideration, I've decided to become an award-free blog. Although I appreciate and am honored by each and every award I've received, your comments and friendship are enough award for me. Thank you all so much for your thoughtfulness.

Due to way too many spam comments, I disabled the Anonymous User comments. We'll see if this works, otherwise I'll have to go back to word verification.