Thursday, October 17, 2024

Review: Granny’s Got A Gun by Harper Lin





About the Book


Genre
Cozy Mystery

Format
E-Book

Publisher
Harper Lin Books

Release Date
May 9, 2017

Synopsis from Goodreads:

Barbara Gold, a retired CIA agent, is bored out of her skull in Cheerville, a small town in New England—until a man is poisoned during a book club meeting for seniors. Everyone thinks Lucien had a heart attack, but from his symptoms, Barbara knows someone has slipped poison into his cake or drink. Even though she is no longer under cover, Barbara feels as if she’s only playing the part of a sweet grandmother, but this may just be her most useful cover yet. 

The clock ticks as she investigates who in the Cheerville Active Readers’ Society would want Lucien dead. It’s only a matter of time before his death is declared murder and the police start hounding everyone.

Suddenly Barbara’s CIA training is useful again, and Cheerville is starting to seem not so dull after all…

My Review

Although she had been a CIA agent, Barbara Gold now fills her time with a book club for seniors.  Not quite the excitement she’s used to until one of the members suddenly dies at one of the meetings.  Everyone assumes he had a heart attack, except for Barbara.  She suspects the man had been poisoned and intends to find the culprit.

This is the first book in the Secret Agent Granny series, and I devoured it.  The premise of a retired CIA Agent living in a town called Cheerville is unique in a cozy mystery series.  The setting is perfect.  The supporting cast is quirky and so is our main character.  Once Barbara is convinced the death is murder, she’s on the case and has no intentions of backing down.  

It’s a short book, but it kept me on my toes. It's a solid start to the series.  I do wish it were longer, but it made for a nice afternoon escape.   I’ll definitely continue reading this series.  

For reading challenges:

Alphabet Soup Reading Challenge 2024
Craving for the Cozies Reading Challenge 2024
The Backlist Reader Challenge 2024



Disclosure:  This one is from my own e-book collection. I received it as a freebie. I was not required to write a positive review. All opinions expressed are my own.




2 comments:

  1. I can imagine almost anything would be dull in life after being a secret agent. The premise sounds like fun!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and visiting my blog! I always love reading comments and getting to know my readers!

After some careful consideration, I've decided to become an award-free blog. Although I appreciate and am honored by each and every award I've received, your comments and friendship are enough award for me. Thank you all so much for your thoughtfulness.

Due to way too many spam comments, I disabled the Anonymous User comments. We'll see if this works, otherwise I'll have to go back to word verification.