Sunday, June 2, 2019

Review: A Twist in the Tail by Leighann Dobbs




Genre:
Cozy Mystery

Format:
E-ARC

Publisher:
Bookouture

Release Date:
May 16, 2019




Synopsis from Goodreads:


FROM THE AWARD-WINNING AUTHOR OF THE USA TODAYBESTSELLING MYSTIC NOTCH SERIES…

‘Talk about inconvenient. Not only did I have a dilapidated mansion and no money to repair it with, two cats I had no idea how to care for and a room full of cranky guests waiting for their breakfast, I also had a dead body on my hands.’

Josie Waters has to admit she may have acted a bit hastily when she agreed to purchase the Oyster Cove Guesthouse – a charmingly gabled Victorian mansion on the breathtaking Maine coast – from elderly family friend Millie Sullivan. But Josie was desperate to flee Ohio and in particular her ex-husband, a chef who loved his job so much he left her for it. And anyway, how hard can running a guesthouse be?

The truth is, Oyster Cove Guesthouse is a mouldering money pit with falling-in roof and a cohort of regular guests who are as mischievous as a litter of kittens. And Millie keeps dropping by to dispense unasked-for advice. And Josie might have made a mistake in promising to adopt Oyster Cove’s two resident cats Nero and Marlowe, and treat them in the manner to which they’ve become accustomed. Josie has never had a cat before… let alone two feisty felines who think they own the place.

Ok, it’s not going well. At least it can’t get any worse, Josie thinks. Until her first guest ends up dead.

My Review

Josie Waters is beyond busy now that she is the new owner of the Oyster Cove Guesthouse. She purchased it from a close friend of the family. The guesthouse needs a bit of work, but things really take a nasty turn when one of her first guests is found dead. All fingers point towards Josie as being the culprit.

The guesthouse comes complete with two cats named Nero and Marlowe. They aren’t so sure they like Josie but they don’t think she’s a killer and they intend to prove her innocence. They turn towards a group of neighborhood cats to help them in the investigation. Meanwhile, Josie conducts her own investigation.

I loved this one right from the start. Yes, it helps that I love cats and there are a bunch of them in this one. The cats talk but only to each other, not the humans. It’s quite funny seeing them trying to get their message across to their human.

It’s a light-hearted, fast-paced read that gave me hours of fun. I’m looking forward to the next book in the series.


For reading challenges:
The Purrfect Reading Challenge 2019
What An Animal Reading Challenge 2019
Cruisin’ thru the Cozies Reading Challenge 2019
Alphabet Soup Reading Challenge 2019

FTC Disclosure: I voluntarily reviewed an Advance Reader Copy of this book from NetGalley and the publisher. I was not required to write a positive review. All opinions expressed are my own.


2 comments:

  1. That sounds fun. I know how frustrated cats get at trying to communicate with us dumb humans :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've enjoyed some of her other books and will be grabbing this one now!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and visiting my blog! I always love reading comments and getting to know my readers!

After some careful consideration, I've decided to become an award-free blog. Although I appreciate and am honored by each and every award I've received, your comments and friendship are enough award for me. Thank you all so much for your thoughtfulness.

Due to way too many spam comments, I disabled the Anonymous User comments. We'll see if this works, otherwise I'll have to go back to word verification.