Friday, February 19, 2021

Book Beginnings on Fridays/The Friday 56 - February 19th




This is a fun meme to do hosted by Freda's Voice. If you'd like to join on the fun go to The Friday 56.

Rules:
*Grab a book, any book.
*Turn to page 56 or 56% in your eReader.
*Find any sentence that grabs you.
*Post it.
*Link it here.

It's that simple.





I'm also joining in Book Beginnings on Friday. It's hosted by Rose City Reader


I just started listening to the audio version of this.


First Chapter

As schooner-sized white clouds sailed high across the turquoise South Florida sky, Kate McGuire tugged at her green gardening gloves.  Despite what the label proclaimed, one size definitely did not fil all.

From 56% on my Kindle...

"OK, I can't be my usual lazy self," Maxi said, topping off her coffee mug.  "I gotta get out of here soon, 'cause I can't be late to Javie's school.


Synopsis from Goodreads:

In Eve Calder's Sugar and Vice, things are heating up at the Cookie House when star pastry chef and amateur sleuth Kate McGuire finds herself in the midst of a shocking murder mystery. OUT OF THE OVEN Lately, Kate has a lot on her dessert plate. She's launching a cookie-of-the-day challenge in the heart of Coral Cay, providing sweet treats for the reception of the town's handsome new veterinarian-not to mention dealing with tourists in town for a pirate festival and the surprise arrival of her former fiance, Evan, who seems determined to win her back. AND INTO THE FIRE And if that's not enough, a skeleton has been found-in the backyard behind her best friend Maxi's floral shop. Kate knows Maxi could never hurt a fly. Maybe the remains belong to Sir George Bly, a long-dead pirate whose name has become urban legend-until now? It's time for Kate to use every trick in the recipe book to prove Maxi's innocence, and find the truth about the skeleton, before the last of the cookies crumble . . . 

 
What do you think?  What are you sharing today?




11 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I used to listen to audiobooks when I commuted to work, but since I'm not working now I don't. I just decided to give this one a try and it's easy to listen to. Usually non-fiction audio works better for me, though.

      Delete
  2. I am trying so hard to stay away from sugar and all it's vices lately! But doesn't that cover look absolutely delicious??

    Hope you had a good week Yvonne and that you will have a good weekend!

    Elza Reads

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that cover! It looks delicious. xD Ha, that opening makes me laugh, too! The struggle is real (and all too relatable). This sounds like a fun book! Hope you enjoy it!

    Here's my Friday post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a delightful sounding book! Thanks for sharing, and enjoy your weekend. Here's mine: “THE PARIS LIBRARY”

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that the author mentions three colors in her first sentence. I'd keep reading for that alone.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm curious for more! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds good and now I want some cookies. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sugar and Vice sounds good! I admit I want to try the Cookie a Day! I hope Kate can clear Maxi's name! Have a great weekend, Yvonne!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm a huge fan of audiobooks but I can never keep track of what's on page 56. Lol.

    Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. i keep telling myself i need to quit being so lazy but...maybe when the weather changes and i want to be outside more
    sherry @ fundinmental

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and visiting my blog! I always love reading comments and getting to know my readers!

After some careful consideration, I've decided to become an award-free blog. Although I appreciate and am honored by each and every award I've received, your comments and friendship are enough award for me. Thank you all so much for your thoughtfulness.

Due to way too many spam comments, I disabled the Anonymous User comments. We'll see if this works, otherwise I'll have to go back to word verification.