Friday, December 17, 2021

Review: Escape Claws by Linda Reilly

 


About the Book


Genre

Cozy Mystery


Format

E-ARC


Publisher

Lyrical Underground


Release Date

December 26, 2017


Synopsis from Goodreads:

Here, killer, killer, killer . . .

For the first time in sixteen years, Lara Caphart has returned to her hometown of Whisker Jog, New Hampshire. She wants to reconnect with her estranged Aunt Fran, who’s having some difficulty looking after herself—and her eleven cats. Taking care of a clowder of kitties is easy, but keeping Fran from being harassed by local bully Theo Barnes is hard. The wealthy builder has his sights set on Fran’s property, and is determined to make her an offer she doesn’t dare refuse.

Then Lara spots a blue-eyed ragdoll cat that she swears is the reincarnation of her beloved Blue, her childhood pet. Pursuing the feline to the edge of Fran’s yard, she stumbles upon the body of Theo Barnes, clearly a victim of foul play. To get her and Fran off the suspect list, Lara finds herself following the cat’s clues in search of a killer. Is Blue’s ghost really trying to help her solve a murder, or has Lara inhaled too much catnip?


My Review


After a long absence, Lara Caphart returns to her hometown of Whisker Jog in New Hampshire. Her Aunt Fran still lives there, but her health isn’t the best. Besides taking care of herself, she is taking care of 11 cats. Lara is more than ready to lend a helping hand.

Theo Barnes, however, wants Aunt Fran’s property. Lara sees them arguing, but has no idea why. Not long after, she finds Barnes’ dead body. The cops are focused on Aunt Fran being the guilty party, but Lara isn’t buying it. She’s determined to prove her aunt’s innocence and bring the real guilty party to justice.

This has been on my Kindle for a long time. I don’t know why I didn’t read it sooner. I absolutely loved it. I loved the human characters, but, of course, the felines are the ones I really loved.

The story moved at a fast-pace. It was chock-full of potential suspects. Theo wasn’t very well liked, to say the least. This book had everything I loved – cats, a mystery and an amateur sleuth I adored. Oh - also, a killer I didn't suspect at all.   I’m so ready to get to the second book.



For reading challenges:

Alphabet Soup Reading Challenge 2021
Literary Escapes Reading Challenge 2021 (New Hampshire)
The Backlist Reader Challenge 2021

 

FTC Disclosure: I voluntarily reviewed a free Advance Reader Copy of this book from NetGalley and the publisher. I was not required to write a positive review.  All opinions expressed are my own.





1 comment:

  1. This looks fun and this is a series I haven't read! I love the premise and the ghost cat. Definitely need to give this a try.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and visiting my blog! I always love reading comments and getting to know my readers!

After some careful consideration, I've decided to become an award-free blog. Although I appreciate and am honored by each and every award I've received, your comments and friendship are enough award for me. Thank you all so much for your thoughtfulness.

Due to way too many spam comments, I disabled the Anonymous User comments. We'll see if this works, otherwise I'll have to go back to word verification.