Tuesday, December 28, 2021

Review: Furbidden Fatality by Deborah Blake

 


About the Book

Genre
Cozy Mystery
 
Format
E-ARC
 
Publisher
Berkley
 
Release Date
February 23, 2021

Synopsis from Goodreads:

A lottery winner uses her good fortune to save a local pet sanctuary, but when a body is discovered on the property, she just might be in the doghouse in this first book in a new, charming cozy mystery series from author Deborah Blake.

Kari Stuart's life is going nowhere--until she unexpectedly wins the lottery. The twenty-nine-year-old instant multimillionaire is still mulling plans for her winnings when trying to rescue a bossy black kitten leads her to a semiabandoned animal shelter. They need the cash--Kari needs a purpose.

But the dilapidated rescue is literally going to the dogs with a pending lawsuit, hard to adopt animals, and too much suspicious attention from the town's dog warden. When the warden turns up dead outside the shelter's dog kennels, Kari finds herself up a creek without a pooper-scooper.

With the help of some dedicated volunteers, a cute vet, and a kitten who mysteriously shows up just when she needs it, Kari must prove her innocence all while trying to save a dog on death row. Now she just needs to hope that her string of unexpected luck isn't about to run out.


My Review

Winning the lottery completely changes Kari Stuart’s life.  As she tries to figure out what to do with her multi-million dollar windfall, she comes across a stray black kitten looking for a home.  Kari already has two cats and a dog, she couldn't possibly take in this kitten, too.  She quickly finds out that all the local shelters are completely full.  She comes across a rundown shelter looking for a new owner.  It’s called Serenity Sanctuary.  Kari is certain her newfound fortune would be put to the best use by rebuilding the sanctuary. 

She fast discovers that it’s not such an easy thing to own a shelter.  There’s quite a bit of work to be done not to mention a local dog warden who seems determined to shut her down.  When the warden turns up dead, all eyes focus on Kari as the killer.

Kari and her friends, as well as her new kitten, set out to find the real killer.  They soon learn there’s more to the mystery than one dead man.  Strange things are happening at the shelter and Kari vows to learn what they are so she can continue with her new venture as owner of Serenity Sanctuary. 

This is the first of a new series and I was drawn right into the story.  As an animal lover, I was intrigued at the idea of a cozy mystery centered in a shelter.  Kari’s love of animals won me over immediately.  Not to mention she is surrounded by a caring group of women who are totally invested in making Serenity Sanctuary a success. 

The storyline is filled with clues, twists, turns and a number of potential suspects.  It is like putting together a jigsaw puzzle.  I, of course, put it together wrong.  I didn’t see that ending coming, which made it even more exciting to read. 

I never read anything by this author before but I’m a fan now.  I’m looking forward to the second book in the series.

 


 

FTC Disclosure: I voluntarily reviewed a free Advance Reader Copy of this book from NetGalley/Edelweiss and the publisher. I was not required to write a positive review.  All opinions expressed are my own.

 

 

 

3 comments:

  1. I love it when I find a new author that I love. Sounds like a fabulous read.

    Have a fabulous day and week. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed this one too! The parts at the animal rescue were so interesting.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and visiting my blog! I always love reading comments and getting to know my readers!

After some careful consideration, I've decided to become an award-free blog. Although I appreciate and am honored by each and every award I've received, your comments and friendship are enough award for me. Thank you all so much for your thoughtfulness.

Due to way too many spam comments, I disabled the Anonymous User comments. We'll see if this works, otherwise I'll have to go back to word verification.