Tuesday, January 18, 2022

Review: File M for Murder by Miranda James

 


About the Book


Genre
Cozy Mystery

Format
E-Book

Publisher
Berkley

Release Date
January 31, 2012

Synopsis from Goodreads:

Athena College's new writer in residence is native son and playwright Connor Lawton, known for his sharp writing—and sharper tongue. After an unpleasant encounter, librarian Charlie Harris heads home to a nice surprise: his daughter Laura is subbing for another Athena professor this fall semester. It's great news until he hears who got her the job: her old flame, Connor Lawton...

Fearing competition for Connor's affections, one of his admirers tries to drive Laura out of town. And then, before Connor finishes the play he is writing, he is murdered—and Laura is the prime suspect. Knowing she's innocent, Charlie and his faithful sidekick, Diesel, follow Connor's cluttered trail of angry lovers, bitter enemies, and intriguing research to find the true killer before his daughter is forever cataloged under "M"—for murderer.


My Review


Charlie Harris is thrilled to have his daughter, Laura, home for the fall semester.  She’s teaching a class and he’s thrilled to spend time with her.  He’s not very happy to hear playwright Connor Lawton helped get her the job and that his daughter had a relationship with the man.  Connor is far from being one of Charlie’s favorite people.

Connor’s latest fling shows up in town and is set on getting rid of Laura.  Connor and Laura work on a play at school, but Connor gets angry when things don’t go his way.  Then, Connor is found dead with Laura being the #1 suspect.  No way is Charlie going to let his daughter go to jail.  With the help of Diesel, his handsome Maine Coon cat, Charlie searches for a killer.  Slowly, he begins to uncover many secrets and many possible suspects.

This is the third book in the Cat in the Stacks books.  I love this series, but I fell helplessly behind in reading the books.  This year I’ve decided to concentrate on finishing the series.  I’m so glad I did.  I totally loved this book.  My only complaint is that there wasn’t enough of Diesel.  I can never get enough of that cute kitty.

I really like the way the author is developing the relationship with Charlie and his children.  I’m looking forward to more of that in future books.  Charlie is such a lovable character as is his kitty Diesel. 

I zoomed right through this book.  I loved every minute of it.  The storyline was interesting and kept me guessing.  This is on the top of my TBR and I’m more than ready to continue with book #4.  I’m determined to catch up to the current books.



For reading challenges:

The Purrfect Reading Challenge 2022
What An Animal Reading Challenge 2022
Alphabet Soup Reading Challenge 2022
Literary Escapes Reading Challenge 2022 (Mississippi)
The Backlist Reading Challenge 2022


Disclosure:  This one is from my own e-book collection. All opinions expressed are my own.


1 comment:

  1. I will prepare myself for not enough Diesel when I read this one. He's my favorite character! This sounds good and I'm really looking forward to going back and reading this series from the beginning.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and visiting my blog! I always love reading comments and getting to know my readers!

After some careful consideration, I've decided to become an award-free blog. Although I appreciate and am honored by each and every award I've received, your comments and friendship are enough award for me. Thank you all so much for your thoughtfulness.

Due to way too many spam comments, I disabled the Anonymous User comments. We'll see if this works, otherwise I'll have to go back to word verification.