Berkley Prime Crime Mystery
After taking a leave of absence to care for her ill father, Sunny Coolidge loses her well paying newspaper job in New York City and returns to her home town of Kittery Harbor, Maine. She moves in with her father and is stuck in a low paying job which doesn’t even cover her expenses – not to mention her unreasonable and demanding boss.
When Ada Spruance, also known as the “Cat Lady”, asks Sunny to help locate a missing winning lottery ticket, Sunny agrees to help. When Sunny pays Ada a visit, she finds the woman dead at the bottom of her stairs. Originally called an accident, Sunny realizes it has to be murder.
One of Ada’s cats takes a liking to Sunny and decides to live with her and her father. Sunny’s father isn’t happy with the new living arrangements, but tolerates it. Shadow manages to work his way into Sunny’s heart.
With the help of a local detective, Will Price, Sunny does some investigating and gets a bit too close to the truth. She realizes Shadow may have witnessed the murder and now her own life is in jeopardy.
This is a fun story and the beginning of a brand new cozy mysteries series – starring a cat! You know a cozy mystery with a cat in the lead role is going to be a favorite of mine. Parts of the book are told from the cat’s point of view (no, he doesn’t speak to the humans, but we do get an insight as to what he’s thinking). The cat’s viewpoint sounds exactly the way I would expect a cat to think. The author obviously knows cats.
The story moved along at a quick pace and the ending was a big surprise to me. I loved the characters and really enjoyed the side romance of Sunny and Will. I can’t wait to read the second book of this series which is out in May.
You know I’m giving this one five kitties!
FTC Disclosure: The publisher provided me with a copy of this book to review. This did not influence my thoughts and opinions in any way. All opinions expressed are my own.
For reading challenges:
A-Z Reading Challenge 2013
2013 ARC Reading Challenge
Where are you reading? challenge (Maine)
What an Animal Reading Challenge
Cruisin’ thru the Cozies Reading Challenge
Here are the rules...
To enter fill out the form below and follow these simple rules:
1) The contest runs from midnight (est), March 23rd to midnight (est) on March 30th.
2) Entrants must leave a valid email address to enter the giveaway.
3) US residents only!
4) For an extra entry - follow this blog either through GFC or subscribe through email. Yes, longtime followers count, just tell me how you follow.
5) For an extra entry - follow this blog on Twitter.
6) For an extra entry - befriend me on Goodreads.
7) For an extra 2 entries blog about this contest on your blog.
8) For an extra 2 entries, check out the post for this book at my Socrates' Cozy Cafe blog and comment on it.
9) For an extra 2 entries, tweet about this giveaway.
I will notify the winner once one is chosen by Rafflecopter. The winner will have 48 hours to claim their book or a new winner will be chosen.
Good luck everyone!
a Rafflecopter giveaway