Thursday, September 28, 2017

Review: Familiar Trouble by Caroline Haines


Genre:
Mystery

Format:
E-Book

Publisher:
KaliOka Press

Release Date:
July 10, 2017






Synopsis from Goodreads:

BLOOD IS THICKER... Sometimes a unique talent is inherited—and such is the case for Trouble, son of Familiar the black cat detective. Trouble’s rather indolent life in the sleepy town of Wetumpka, Alabama is upended when a serial killer arrives on the scene. Trouble begins to apply the skills he learned from his dad and his hero, Sherlock Holmes.

When local bookseller Tammy Lynn is attacked at the site of an impact crater, Trouble realizes he must protect his human and solve the mystery of the Silk Stocking Killer.

Aiden Waters, a local deputy, has tracked the SSK to Wetumpka. Since his wife’s murder, Aiden won’t risk romance, but when Tammy is endangered, everything changes. Especially their hearts.

My Review

Book seller Tammy Lynn trespasses on her neighbor’s property to be on the site of an impact crater. She is attacked and finds her life is in danger. When she learns a serial killer is in her small town of Wetumpka, Alabama, she realizes she could have been the next victim.

Tammy’s cat, Trouble, is the son of the famous black cat detective, Familiar. Trouble is following the footsteps of his dad and the famous human detective, Sherlock Holmes. It’s Trouble’s job to protect Tammy and he will go to any length to do so.

However, Trouble doesn’t have to handle it on his own. The handsome local deputy, Aiden Waters, is also on the case. After losing his wife, he has no intentions of losing Tammy, too. Trouble and Aiden have their hands fun protecting Tammy. It’s especially hard since Tammy is quite independent and prefers to protect herself.

Caroline Haines wrote the original Fear Familiar series under the name Caroline Burnes for the Harlequin Intrigue line. I loved that series and was delighted to hear that a sequel series would be released. I enjoyed this very much. It’s a clever series, partly narrated by Trouble (complete with a Benedict Cumberbatch accent). The cat doesn’t speak to the humans, but the readers hear exactly what’s on his mind.

I found the story line to be fast-paced and intriguing. Tammy is a bit reckless, but most mystery heroines are :) She is strong, though, and doesn’t back down from a fight. Aiden is a good match for her, although he has many personal demons he has to go through himself.

I enjoyed both the mystery and romance in this book. There are more books coming in this series. Each one is written by a different author and features different heroines and heroes, but Trouble is the common denominator as he appears in all of them. I’m looking forward to reading the next one in the series.



For reading challenges:
The Purrfect Reading Challenge 2017
What An Animal Reading Challenge 2017

Disclosure: This book is from my own e-book collection. I was not required to write a positive review. All opinions expressed are my own.

4 comments:

  1. Love the cover, and the story sounds interesting. I like that each book will be by a different author, have different characters, but that that Trouble will be in all of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just went to Amazon to get the book and it's free right now!

      Delete
  2. I love the idea of a cat called Trouble.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and visiting my blog! I always love reading comments and getting to know my readers!

After some careful consideration, I've decided to become an award-free blog. Although I appreciate and am honored by each and every award I've received, your comments and friendship are enough award for me. Thank you all so much for your thoughtfulness.

Due to way too many spam comments, I disabled the Anonymous User comments. We'll see if this works, otherwise I'll have to go back to word verification.