Monday, May 31, 2021

Review: Hemingway’s Cats by Lindsey Hooper

 


About the Book


Genre
Fiction

Format
E-ARC

Publisher
Kensington Publishing

Release Date
May 25, 2021


Synopsis from Goodreads:

ONE CAT JUST LEADS TO ANOTHER. --Ernest Hemingway

Inspired by the true story of the world-famous six-toed felines of the Ernest Hemingway House in Key West, Florida--and the fur-raising hurricane that nearly blew them away--Hemingway's Cats is a delightful novel packed with colorful characters, adorable cats, a little romance, and a lot of humor.

Laura Lange didn't come to Key West to fall in love. As a recent college grad--with a useless degree in English--she came to work at the historic Hemingway home as a tour guide. Why not? She wrote her thesis on the iconic author. She has no other job offers. And she's desperate. Now Laura is falling desperately in love--with the fifty-four frisky felines who freely roam the estate. These descendants of Hemingway's original cat have not only stolen her heart--they're changing her life in ways she never imagined . . .

First there's Nessie, the bushy-tailed house mother of the cats who seems to have adopted Laura, too. Then there's grumpy old Pawpa Hemingway; the cat thieves Chew-Chew and Whiskey; the big-pawed Boxer and Bullfighter; and dozens of darling kittens. The locals are lovable, too. Laura's having a great time with her boy-crazy bungalow roomies, the Crabb sisters, and especially the young, handsome cat keeper, Jake. But Laura's summer of fun is about to take an unexpected turn--a Category 5 hurricane is about to make landfall directly on their doorstep . . .

They can't possibly evacuate fifty-four cats. So Laura, Nessie, and all of their friends decide to hunker down in the Hemingway House to weather this storm--together.

My Review

Laura Lange is excited about her new job.  She’s a new tour guide at the famous Hemingway House in Key West, Florida.  The historic house is known for the polydactyl (six-toed) cats who make it their home.  Laura is immediately enchanted by the cats as well as the humans she meets in Key West.

However, it’s hurricane season and there is a Category 5 hurricane headed right for them.  There’s no way to evacuate all those cats, so Laura and her new Key West friends stay together to protect the cats.

What a darling, sweet story.  I’ve visited the Hemingway House and fell in love with every cat I saw.  Each room had at least one cat making it their own.  I’m hoping to some day go back.  This story is based on a real-life hurricane event. 

I enjoyed this story from start to finish.  There’s some romance, a little suspense, and many, many beautiful and loving cats.  You know this is a story I savored.  

The characters are a motley group who make you smile.  They all have their own little quirks.  Of course my favorite characters are the cats. They have their own personalities, especially Nessie who is attached to Laura as soon as they meet.

It’s a story that touched my heart and gave me that “feel good” feeling.  A wonderful escape from the real world.  A true keeper!



For reading challenges:

What An Animal Reading Challenge 2021
NetGalley and Edelweiss Reading Challenge 2021

FTC Disclosure: I voluntarily reviewed a free Advance Reader Copy of this book from the publisher and NetGalley. I was not required to write a positive review.  All opinions expressed are my own.


1 comment:

Thank you for stopping by and visiting my blog! I always love reading comments and getting to know my readers!

After some careful consideration, I've decided to become an award-free blog. Although I appreciate and am honored by each and every award I've received, your comments and friendship are enough award for me. Thank you all so much for your thoughtfulness.

Due to way too many spam comments, I disabled the Anonymous User comments. We'll see if this works, otherwise I'll have to go back to word verification.