Monday, November 20, 2023

Review: The Corpse’s Secret Life by Nancy Lynn Jarvis

 



About the Book


Genre
Mystery

Format
E-Book

Release Date
March 16, 2022


Synopsis from Goodreads:

Pat’s fledgling private investigation company, PIP Inc., has a promising new case.

Pat is still wearing a wrist cast after breaking her arm in a confrontation with a killer, so when she’s hired by the City of Watsonville to unearth the identity of an older woman who died in her bed, she’s delighted when she thinks her next job promises to be a simple computer-based research project.

Why is it that things are never as simple as she thinks they will be? Pat soon discovers nothing is as it seems, beginning with a corpse who had secret identities, murder, and a post-death ritual thought to have last been performed decades ago.

My Review

Private investigator, Pat Pirard, has just finished a difficult case and still wears a wrist cast to prove it.  Now she is hired for a new case.  It doesn’t sound like it will be too difficult.  She just needs to find the identity of a woman who died at home.  Pat figures it will just be a research type of case and not dangerous at all. Wrong!

What was thought to be a natural death, turns out to be anything but.  The victim had more than one identity and her death may not have been so natural after all.  Pat quickly learns that there is more to this case than meets the eye.  She doesn't know who to trust.

The author does a wonderful job of creating realistic characters.  Whether it's the good guys or the bad guys, they literally come to life with each page.  

It’s a traditional mystery with a touch of romance added to the mix. There were more twists and turns in this story than a roller coaster.  It certainly kept me on my toes.  I couldn’t figure out the reasoning for everything until the end when Pat did.  It's one of those books that I couldn't put down until I knew the outcome.

This is the third book in the PIP Inc. Mystery series and, for me, was the best one yet. The mystery storyline is contained in this book, so it’s not necessary to read the previous books.  However, I think it’s a much better reading experience to read the books in order. It gives you more of a background for the characters and their relationships.

I can’t wait to read book #4. This book leaves us wondering about Pat’s next case. It looks to be another good one.



I borrowed this one from the Kindle Unlimited library.  I was not required to write a positive review. All opinions expressed are my own.



4 comments:

  1. This is something I would rather see on tv than read. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I love the sound of this! I'm fascinated by mysteries involving discovering identity.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and visiting my blog! I always love reading comments and getting to know my readers!

After some careful consideration, I've decided to become an award-free blog. Although I appreciate and am honored by each and every award I've received, your comments and friendship are enough award for me. Thank you all so much for your thoughtfulness.

Due to way too many spam comments, I disabled the Anonymous User comments. We'll see if this works, otherwise I'll have to go back to word verification.