Tuesday, November 14, 2023

Review: In Mint Condition by M.L. Ortega




About the Book


Genre
Mystery

Format
E-Book

Release Date
May 31, 2023


Synopsis from Goodreads:

Single mom Maggie Chessman finds what might be a valuable Chinese porcelain bowl. When she takes it to be appraised at the local antique store, In Mint Condition, she finds a dead vendor. To her cop boyfriend’s dismay, this isn’t the first body she’s discovered, including a naked corpse in a model home and her dead sister-in-law at a local salon. But, unknown to him, this one is the corpse of a man who abused her as a child.

If the truth comes out, she might be the prime suspect in his murder. Her best friend and her therapist rally around her, discussing other suspects – the victim had a hand in a variety of crimes and sins.

As Maggie discovers, no adult is in mint condition, life takes its toll on everyone.

My Review

Maggie Chessman found more than she was expecting at a local estate sale.  She’s even more shocked when she winds up at a local antique store and finds a dead body. She’s not sure what will happen next, but she definitely didn’t want to be dealing with this mess.

The huge problem now is that the victim is the man who abused her when she was a child.  She fears if she tells the police the truth, they will think she had the best motive to commit murder.  She can’t let that happen, so she does some investigation on her own.  Fortunately, she has a few good friends helping her along the way.

The characters are well-developed and come to life on each page.  It’s a quick read with a surprise ending.  This story, also, deals with the very real issue of abuse.  A very interesting read.

I didn’t realize this was the third book in a series before I started reading it.  I don’t think it hindered my reading pleasure, but I still would have enjoyed it more if I had started from book #1.  I want to learn more about these characters.  I will definitely be checking out this author’s backlist. 



I borrowed this one from the Kindle Unlimited library.  I was not required to write a positive review. All opinions expressed are my own.




2 comments:

Thank you for stopping by and visiting my blog! I always love reading comments and getting to know my readers!

After some careful consideration, I've decided to become an award-free blog. Although I appreciate and am honored by each and every award I've received, your comments and friendship are enough award for me. Thank you all so much for your thoughtfulness.

Due to way too many spam comments, I disabled the Anonymous User comments. We'll see if this works, otherwise I'll have to go back to word verification.