Tuesday, April 16, 2024

Review: Rhythm and Clues by Olivia Blacke

 



About the Book


Genre
Cozy Mystery

Format
E-ARC

Publisher
St. Martin’s Press

Release Date:
March 26, 2024

Synopsis from Goodreads:

The rhythm is gonna get you.

It’s been five whole months since the last murder in Cedar River, Texas, and Juni Jessup and her sisters Tansy and Maggie have been humming along when disaster strikes again.

Their struggling vinyl records shop/coffee nook, Sip & Spin Records, is under pressure from predatory investors, though the Jessup sisters aren’t ready to face the music and admit defeat. But the night after their meeting, the sketchy financier is killed outside their shop during a torrential Texas thunderstorm that washes out all the roads in and out of town. Now the sisters find themselves trapped in Cedar River with a killer, and Juni is determined to solve the case.

When the river spits out an unexpected surprise, Detective Beau Russell asks for Juni’s help, never predicting her investigation will spin her into danger. Up until now, the Jessup sisters have been playing it by ear, but with the whole town watching, can they catch a killer before he strikes again?

My Review

The Jessup sisters work hard to keep their shop afloat, but it’s not always easy.  When a financier swoops in to help them save the day, they aren’t sure they want to relinquish control of their shop to a stranger.  They ask around town - some are happy with the financier’s help and others not so much.  

All talk of their financial situation comes to an abrupt end when one of the financiers is found dead right outside their shop.  It’s up to Juni to solve this case before anyone else is hurt.

I’ve been excited about this series since the first book.  Each book gets better and better.  The two aspects of the book that really get to me are the three sisters’ relationship and the record shop setting.  It’s a unique cozy mystery setting.  So different than a bookstore, cafe or yarn store.  I love all of those settings as well, but it’s so nice to find something a bit different.

The rapport between the sisters is lovely.  Each character in the book is written to perfection. They are well developed right from the start.  

The story moves along at a fast pace.  I was shocked by the ending.  I didn’t see that coming.  This is book #3 of the series.  All three books are must reads for me.  I’m anxiously awaiting for book #4.

For reading challenges:

Alphabet Soup Reading Challenge 2024
NetGalley & Edelweiss Reading Challenge 2024
Cruisin’ thru the Cozies Reading Challenge 2024
Cloak & Dagger Reading Challenge 2024


FTC Disclosure: I voluntarily reviewed a free Advance Reader Copy of this book from NetGalley and the publisher. I was not required to write a positive review.  All opinions expressed are my own.

5 comments:

  1. You're right, a record shop would be a unique setting and might have a hard time, especially in a small town.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed this one too though I do wish Juni would find a different form of transportation! The adult trike thing pulls me out of the story every time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear you enjoyed this one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love books with a surprise ending! Sounds like it was awesome!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and visiting my blog! I always love reading comments and getting to know my readers!

After some careful consideration, I've decided to become an award-free blog. Although I appreciate and am honored by each and every award I've received, your comments and friendship are enough award for me. Thank you all so much for your thoughtfulness.

Due to way too many spam comments, I disabled the Anonymous User comments. We'll see if this works, otherwise I'll have to go back to word verification.