Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Noontime Book Chat - Like Glass by Matthew Corey



Welcome to today's Noontime Book Chat of Like Glass by Matthew Corey. Yesterday, J. Kaye started us off by discussing the cover and the early chapters of this book. I thought I'd go to the next several chapters.

Rob Jackson fell in love with Janet. They were young and he fell in love very quickly. His brother ended up sleeping with Janet, getting her pregnant and marrying her. Rob felt betrayed. Everyone else seemed to think he was overreacting. Although it could have been a case of "puppy love", I can't blame Rob for feeling betrayed. His own brother slept with his girlfriend, but everyone chalked that up to no big deal.

I felt that Rob's feelings were pushed aside a bit too easily by everyone. Even if Janet wasn't the great love of his life, if Rob felt hurt and in love...well, then he should have been taken seriously. It's not like he was 5 years old and in love with the girl next door.

I totally felt for Rob. I've never been betrayed like that, but I could feel his pain and hurt. How do the rest of you feel about this?

I've already read the entire book and loved it. I'm looking forward to the rest of the week's discussion. Tomorrow we'll be heading over to A Blog of Books and discuss more about this book.

Monday: J. Kaye's Book Blog
Tuesday: Socrates' Book Reviews (Right here!)
Wednesday: A Blog of Books
Thursday: Things We Read
Friday: Cafe of Dreams

6 comments:

  1. I agree with you. I would have carried that hurt for a long time. That was his brother. I never understood why that was acceptable behavior. And this wasn't the first time. I also could understand why his mother was so hurt, but someone - Mom - should have pulled junior aside a in high school told him that was unacceptable behavior.

    Another question though. If Rob already knew what Bill was like, why trust him? I don't think I would have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you too. Seriously I couldn't imagine a brother (or sister) hooking up with someone you were in some sort of relationship with. Whether it was defined or not. If anyone should be on your side it is your sibling and are you telling me that any attraction is worth possibly losing a sibling?

    As for if he knew what he was like - I am sure he thought that when it was "for real" his brother would change. No one wants to believe that the people they care about are incapable of putting their loved ones needs first.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry that was me - wrong account..

    A Blog of Books..

    I agree with you too. Seriously I couldn't imagine a brother (or sister) hooking up with someone you were in some sort of relationship with. Whether it was defined or not. If anyone should be on your side it is your sibling and are you telling me that any attraction is worth possibly losing a sibling?

    As for if he knew what he was like - I am sure he thought that when it was "for real" his brother would change. No one wants to believe that the people they care about are incapable of putting their loved ones needs first.

    I am having a tough Tuesday.. Can't seem to get much right.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL @ Book Maniac - You had me wondering who that could be. Yeah, I get it. He wasn't serious about the others. Rob did make a point on more than on occasion to tell him how serious this was. Even so, someone should have straightened out Bill a long time ago. I've known guys like him...been friends with a few. I learned to accept them for they way they were, but never trusted them as far as I could throw them. They had a warped sense of right and wrong.

    I didn't dislike Janet until she got mad at Rob for never speaking to Bill. Just because you are family doesn't give you a free pass to crap on a relative. Maybe she is just lashing out and that too is understandable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's exactly how I felt - You should be able to trust a sibling. Even though Rob knew what he was like, maybe he just felt if Bill knew it was serious, he wouldn't try anything.

    I didn't hate Janet either but I was annoyed at her attitude towards Rob. I did give her a free pass thinking she was grieving.

    Even Rob's parents didn't seem to support him. It was as if Bill was the golden boy and not the one who stole his brother's girlfriend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's it, Yvonne! I have two sons and they get that preached to them all the time. When you have no one, you'll have your brother. Know that and treat each other with respect.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and visiting my blog! I always love reading comments and getting to know my readers!

After some careful consideration, I've decided to become an award-free blog. Although I appreciate and am honored by each and every award I've received, your comments and friendship are enough award for me. Thank you all so much for your thoughtfulness.

Due to way too many spam comments, I disabled the Anonymous User comments. We'll see if this works, otherwise I'll have to go back to word verification.