Thursday, May 7, 2009

Booking Through Thursday - Graphic Novels and Comic Books




This week's question:

Suggested by Vega:

Last Saturday (May 2nd) is Free Comic Book Day! In celebration of comics and graphic novels, some suggestions:

- Do you read graphic novels/comics? Why do/don’t you enjoy them?
- How would you describe the difference between “graphic novel” and “comic”? Is there a difference at all?
- Say you have a friend who’s never encountered graphic novels. Recommend some titles you consider landmark/”canonical”.


My answer:

No, I don't read graphic novels or comic books. I read comic books when I was younger - the Archie ones being my favorites. I do get a comic strip in email each day - the Garfield ones. I used to get the Cathy strip sent, too. But, I don't read or buy comic books anymore. I've never read a graphic novel.

Since I've never read a graphic novel, I can't say what the difference is between those and a comic book, but I'm guessing that a graphic novel is a book in graphic form while a comic book is kind of like a short story.

Obviously I can't recommend any graphic novels, but I'm open to suggestions if anyone has any!

If you'd like to play along with Booking Through Thursday, just click the button at the top of this post.


glitter-graphics.com

9 comments:

  1. I have never actually picked up a graphic novel to read it. I know a lot of bloggers like them, but they have never really appealed to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. love that kitty pic :-)

    I had always been of the same opinion until recently. I entirely forgot about comic books in my answer... I'll have to go back and add that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Scrap girl - I feel the same way. They never really appealed to me and I never even looked at one.

    thekoolaidmom - Maybe I'll try one, I don't know. It will have to be something that really grabs my interest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm looking for suggestions today , too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that a lot of us think of graphic novels as being something childish. This weeks BTT will definitely make me take a closer look at them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't read a ton of graphic novels but I loved Epileptic by David B. It was incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've got some tips on my post about how to venture into the world of graphic novels, if you're interested in doing so. I'm very much a literary fiction person myself, so I had to first get a glimpse into the artistry behind them and then I could appreciate them as a wholly separate type of art, rather than comparing them to novels (which helps me).

    You can check out my post here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I went to Best Bargain Books today and browsed through the graphic novel section, but nothing really grabbed my attention. I'll have to look at Borders next.

    ReplyDelete
  9. For first timers, try reading Tintin. One of the best series I ever read in what we used to call comics, now graphic novels.

    Asterix is equally good if not better.

    I recommend both very highly. Check out the internet to learn more.

    My BTT post

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and visiting my blog! I always love reading comments and getting to know my readers!

After some careful consideration, I've decided to become an award-free blog. Although I appreciate and am honored by each and every award I've received, your comments and friendship are enough award for me. Thank you all so much for your thoughtfulness.

Due to way too many spam comments, I disabled the Anonymous User comments. We'll see if this works, otherwise I'll have to go back to word verification.