Sunday, March 27, 2016

Review: Change of Scene: A 100 Page Novella by Mary Kay Andrews


Genre:
Women’s Fiction

Format:
E-Book

Publisher:
St. Martin’s Press

Release Date:
April 5, 2016







This novella is actually a prequel to Mary Kay Andrew’s Beach Town. I read Beach Town last year and really enjoyed it. This prequel is the perfect companion to that book. It’s kind of like the cherry on top of a sundae.

Movie location scout, Greer Hennessy, is down on her luck when her current movie project blows up in her face.  She is unceremoniously ousted out of a job. With no income, Greer must find a new job and fast. Nothing is easy for Greer especially when she is greeted with more complications in her life.

Her grandmother, Dearie, is more than a handful especially after being thrown out of her nursing home. Greer’s mother seems to be dealing with some issues of her own, so it’s up to Greer to find her grandmother a new home and figure out exactly where they are going to get the money to pay for it.

When secrets from her family’s past come to light, Greer’s world is turned upside down. Then, her best friend points her in the direction of a new job possibility.  Greer starts to think maybe everything will turn out right after all. Now if she can just find the perfect location for a new movie called Beach Town.

The novella further explains situations we briefly read about in Beach Town. I enjoyed having the holes filled in, although it really isn’t necessary to enjoy Beach Town. It compliments the main book very well. The author does an excellent job of transporting the reader to a movie location.  I felt as if I were actually on the set.  It’s fast-paced and makes for a quick afternoon read.



For reading challenges:
Women’s Fiction Reading Challenge 2016
NetGalley and Edelweiss Reading Challenge 2016

FTC Disclosure: NetGalley and the publisher provided me with a copy of this book to review. This did not influence my thoughts and opinions in any way. All opinions expressed are my own.

4 comments:

  1. I've been wanting to read Mary Kay Andrews for ever and I think I have a copy of Beach Town. I'll definitely have to look for this one. I'm glad you enjoyed it! It sounds like lots of fun and I love when little holes of stories are filled in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoy her books, so I think I'd enjoy it (plus I really liked Beach Town). Thanks for the review! I hadn't heard about this novella before your review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the review. This one is a new book for me.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and visiting my blog! I always love reading comments and getting to know my readers!

After some careful consideration, I've decided to become an award-free blog. Although I appreciate and am honored by each and every award I've received, your comments and friendship are enough award for me. Thank you all so much for your thoughtfulness.

Due to way too many spam comments, I disabled the Anonymous User comments. We'll see if this works, otherwise I'll have to go back to word verification.