Sunday, March 6, 2016

Review: A Sheetcake Named Desire by Jacklyn Brady


Genre:
Cozy Mystery

Format:
E-Book

Publisher:
Berkley

Release Date:
August 2011







Synopsis from Goodreads

New Orleans pastry chef Rita Lucero is out to bake her way to the top. But when she finds her almost-ex-husband killed with a chef's knife in his back, she becomes suspect number one. Now it's up to her to find the real killer before she winds up as the next victim served.

My Review

I have been wanting to start this series for the longest time. Let me start off by saying I had a huge craving for cake through this entire book. LOL! The author does a great job with her descriptions, especially her descriptions of cake.

Rita Lucero goes to New Orleans to get her soon-to-be ex-husband’s, Philippe, signature on the divorce papers, but she never gets a chance to see him face to face. Instead, she finds his dead body and immediately becomes the prime suspect in his murder. When she, and his mother Miss Frankie, inherit everything, Rita becomes even more of a suspect.

At Miss Frankie’s insistence, Rita temporarily runs Phillipe’s bakery. Unfortunately, everyone seems to oppose Rita taking over, even if it’s only for a short time. So, life is anything but easy for Rita. To top it all off, Miss Frankie begs Rita’s help in finding her son’s killer. She can’t refuse Miss Frankie anything. She agrees to help, especially since she doesn’t think the police will have much luck in finding the killer.

I really enjoyed this book. Great characters, an intriguing mystery and a surprise ending – everything I love about a cozy mystery. I’m looking forward to reading the next book in the series. I have some catching up to do!



For reading challenges:
2016 Cruisin’ thru the Cozies Reading Challenge
2016 Foodies Read Reading Challenge
2016 I Love Library Books Reading Challenge

Disclosure: I borrowed this book from the library. All opinions expressed are my own.






3 comments:

Thank you for stopping by and visiting my blog! I always love reading comments and getting to know my readers!

After some careful consideration, I've decided to become an award-free blog. Although I appreciate and am honored by each and every award I've received, your comments and friendship are enough award for me. Thank you all so much for your thoughtfulness.

Due to way too many spam comments, I disabled the Anonymous User comments. We'll see if this works, otherwise I'll have to go back to word verification.