Monday, January 1, 2018

Review: For Whom the Bread Rolls by Sarah Fox



Genre:
Cozy Mystery

Format:
E-Book

Publisher:
Penguin Random House

Release Date:
March 14, 2017





Synopsis from Goodreads:

From the author of The Crêpes of Wrath comes another decadent cozy mystery. This time, pancake house owner Marley McKinney is tangling with a salty troublemaker . . . and a ravenous killer.

Bonus content: includes original recipes inspired by the Flip Side Pancake House menu!

Tourist season’s in full swing in the small seaside town of Wildwood Cove, and Marley McKinney couldn’t be happier. Since taking over the Flip Side restaurant, she’s made a few close friends, adopted a cat named Flapjack, and started dating her childhood crush. The only cloud on the horizon is local nuisance Ida Winkler, who blames Marley for landing her nephew in prison. Trying to get a rise out of Marley, Ida’s been making crank calls and even vandalizing the pancake house.

The police can’t do much about the pranks, so Marley sets out to bury the hatchet once and for all. But someone’s beat her to it—in the most shocking way possible. After stumbling across Ida’s dead body, Marley’s suddenly the number-one suspect in her murder. Clearing her good name is going to be a tall order, but Marley’s not about to let Ida keep ruining her life—especially from beyond the grave.

My Review

Marley McKinney setting into life in the small town of Wildwood Cove. She has inherited the Flip Side restaurant, which is flourishing during the tourist season. There’s one small problem, although it’s not really that small. One of the locals, Ida Winkler, is pulling all sorts of pranks on her from making crank calls to writing graffiti outside her restaurant. Unfortunately, there’s nothing anyone can do since there is evidence of Ida’s guilt.

Things turn even more problematic for Marley when she discovers Ida’s dead body. Of course she’s the number one suspect. It’s up to her to prove her own innocence. Her investigating turns up some interesting things, such as Ida had many many enemies and was far from well liked.

This is the second book in the Pancake House Mystery series and I enjoyed it very much. Marley is a great character. I enjoyed the developing relationship she has with her old friend Brett. It’s a fast-paced story with quirky characters. I’m looking forward to reading more of this series.



FTC Disclosure: I voluntarily reviewed an Advance Reader Copy of this book from NetGalley and the publisher. I was not required to write a positive review. All opinions expressed are my own.

4 comments:

  1. The cover is so cute and the story sounds really good so I put them in my list to read later.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my favorite things about cozies is the title puns and this one may just be my favorite! I have this series on my TBR and can't wait to get to it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The title is cute! I'm glad that you enjoyed this cozy. Happy New Year and happy reading, Yvonne!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and visiting my blog! I always love reading comments and getting to know my readers!

After some careful consideration, I've decided to become an award-free blog. Although I appreciate and am honored by each and every award I've received, your comments and friendship are enough award for me. Thank you all so much for your thoughtfulness.

Due to way too many spam comments, I disabled the Anonymous User comments. We'll see if this works, otherwise I'll have to go back to word verification.