Thursday, April 23, 2020

Review: The Star-Crossed Sisters of Tuscany by Lori Nelson Spielman





Genre:
Fiction

Format:
E-ARC

Publisher:

Release Date:
November 17, 2020





Synopsis from Goodreads:

A trio of second-born daughters set out to break the family curse that says they’ll never find love on a whirlwind journey through the lush Italian countryside by New York Times bestseller Lori Nelson Spielman, author of The Life List.

Since the day Filomena Fontana cast a curse upon her sister more than two hundred years ago, not one second-born Fontana daughter has found lasting love. Some, like second-born Emilia, the happily-single baker at her grandfather’s Brooklyn deli, claim it’s an odd coincidence. Others, like her sexy, desperate-for-love cousin Lucy, insist it’s a true hex. But both are bewildered when their great-aunt calls with an astounding proposition: If they accompany her to her homeland of Italy, Aunt Poppy vows she’ll meet the love of her life on the steps of the Ravello Cathedral on her eightieth birthday, and break the Fontana Second-Daughter Curse once and for all.

Against the backdrop of wandering Venetian canals, rolling Tuscan fields, and enchanting Amalfi Coast villages, romance blooms, destinies are found, and family secrets are unearthed—secrets that could threaten the family far more than a centuries-old curse.


My Review

Many years ago the Fontana women were cursed by one of their own. Filomena Fontana cast a curse on her younger sister and all future second-born daughters. They would never find love. The curse held true from generation to generation.

Emilia Josephina Fontana Lucchesi Antonelli isn’t quite sure what to make of the curse. She wonders if her single status is just a coincidence. When her great-aunt Poppy, a second born daughter too, makes her an amazing offer to break the curse. All she has to do is accompany her to Italy. Poppy also invites cousin Lucy, also a second born daughter. Lucy and Emilia hesitate, but who could refuse an all expense paid trip to Italy?

The women head out on an adventure they will never forget.

No description I could write of this book would do it justice. It’s a beautifully written family saga rich in story and emotion. The author took me on an unforgettable trip to Italy. I felt as if I were standing right by these three women as they explored the country.

However, this isn’t just a travelogue. It’s an emotional story of love, family, secrets and betrayal. Every time I tried to put this book down, I kept thinking “just one more chapter”. I couldn’t stop. It pulled me in and wouldn’t let me go.

This is one of those books that I just wanted to savour when I was done. It stayed with me long after the last page. I never read anything by this author before, but I’ll be sure to see if she has a backlist.

It’s one of those books that I would rate higher than a five, if I could.


FTC Disclosure: I voluntarily reviewed an Advance Reader Copy of this book from NetGalley and the publisher. I was not required to write a positive review. All opinions expressed are my own.


3 comments:

Thank you for stopping by and visiting my blog! I always love reading comments and getting to know my readers!

After some careful consideration, I've decided to become an award-free blog. Although I appreciate and am honored by each and every award I've received, your comments and friendship are enough award for me. Thank you all so much for your thoughtfulness.

Due to way too many spam comments, I disabled the Anonymous User comments. We'll see if this works, otherwise I'll have to go back to word verification.