Tuesday, September 15, 2009

BBAW: Interview with b a good read



Today we celebrate Book Blogger Appreciation Week by swapping interviews with another blogger. This was alot of fun! I was matched up with a "new-to-me" blogger Samantha from be a good read. She has a terrific blog...let the interview begin...

1) How did you become a book blogger?

I discovered the book blog world through my writing blog. Surfing around, I realized excitedly that there are many other--as my friends like to say teasingly--read-aholics. So I began to comment around. Eventually, in the late summer (bad timing on my part because of school starting up), I made a book blog of my own. It was nice writing about books I read and receiving comments on the book--much better than my ever-silent journal. She doesn't respond when I talk about a fantastic book, haha.

2) What do you want to get out of your experience as a blogger?

For some reason, most of my friends are science people. So I'd love to make more friends with a passion for books. Also, I hope to work in the book publishing industry someday as a writer, a literary agent, and, eventually, a bookstore owner. Book blogging, I think, will provide me some great insight.

3) How do you pick the books you want to review?

Good question. Most of the book reviews that are currently posted--I chose them because of their first couple of pages. I like to feel pulled into the story, but it doesn't have to be in a very...loud way. Sometimes, however, if the synopsis sounds interesting or I heard good reviews, I'll read it through even if I find the beginning slow. Usually, the story gets better. But the writing--the writing is what hooks me. If the book shows promise in its writing then I'll definitely check it out.

4) What kind of writing do you do?

Besides all those academic papers? Haha. =) Right now, I'm working on the short story and novel form; I want to write Middle-Grade and Young Adult stories mostly. I wrote a few one-act plays back in high school, but prose is my favorite. I also write a few personal essays/articles: I did a small travel piece this month's issue of The Asian Herald (a Southeaster publication).

5) Which blogs do you read regularly and do you have any to recomment?

I follow more writing blogs than I do book blogs, but I'll definitely name a few: GoodBooksInc. is one I follow and definitely recommend for literary readers. They also have a wonderful blog with quotes from the books they read. The Book Smugglers--they have such a great name and great content. There's also Angieville, The Story Siren, and more. Although it's not a book blog, I like to check out Merry Sisters of Fate. I'm obsessed with Maggie Stiefvater's work right now (thanks to Shiver) and, in Merry Sisters, I get to read short fiction by her and other writers. I definitely recommend checking out BBAW directory for more blogs though. =)

6) What advice would you give to someone starting a brand new blog?

Definitely check out other blogs. You can learn a lot from them and, if you contact a few, I'm sure some of them would love to help you get started or even be a mentor. Don't be scared to say hi in the book blog world. Start a conversation with someone. Try out different ways to review; you may like bullet points or sections or whatever. There's no right way of talking about a book you love.

7) Besides writing and reading, what other hobbies do you have, if any?

I love how you added the "if any," haha. Besides reading and writing, I like dusting up on my martial art skills, hanging out with friends, watching movies, doing homework, fulfilling my leadership roles on campus, being part of campus activities, volunteering, and working at my job.

8) How many hours a week do you spend working on your own blog?

Since school started, none. I know--it's terrible of me. I'm still trying to figure out a way of balancing everything I do. And it seems I may be taking on too much..

Before school, however, I spent about 3-5 hours a day on it which was about...21 hours a week at the very least. I didn't have a job then but..I sure do miss summer haha.

9) Have you ever met another blogger in person?

Nope. I'd like to though.

10) Is there any one experience during your blogging time that stands out the most?

When other book bloggers responded to my comments on their blog. I loved finding people to talk books with! It was like a dream come true. =)

Thanks for doing the interview with me! Have a great BBAW week!

Thank you, Samantha, for doing this interview with me and sharing your insights into the blogging world!

For anyone who would like to find out more about Book Bloggers Appreciation Week, just click the button at the top of this post.

6 comments:

  1. Thank you for a great interview. I didn't know Samantha or her blog before now and loved finding out about her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooh, a book blogging martial artist! can you karate chop through a book or would that be sacreligious? ~LOL~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice to "meet" Samantha. Her's is a new to me blog that I will check out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank YOU Yvonne! You've been very patient with and I really appreciate that. Your interview is up! =) I really enjoyed this experience with yout. I'm just really sorry I haven't been a very active participant. (Uni is driving me insane--It's Friday, but I'm still running to places. I'm on a 30 minute break now haha.)

    Heather J.--Sacreligious all the way! I use my skills to protect and fight for anything good--and that definitely includes books! Lol! =)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and visiting my blog! I always love reading comments and getting to know my readers!

After some careful consideration, I've decided to become an award-free blog. Although I appreciate and am honored by each and every award I've received, your comments and friendship are enough award for me. Thank you all so much for your thoughtfulness.

Due to way too many spam comments, I disabled the Anonymous User comments. We'll see if this works, otherwise I'll have to go back to word verification.