Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Review: Ghost Cat: Midnight Paws by Jessica Beck



Genre:
Cozy Mystery, Paranormal

Format:
E-Book

Publisher:
Cozy Publishing

Release Date:
January 2013




Christy Blake is devastated when her cat, Midnight, and her boss, Cora, are killed during a robbery at the secondhand shop where she works. She feels as if her world is coming to an end. If it wasn’t for her surviving cat, Shadow, her best friend Marybeth and her attorney Lincoln, she might not have made it. When she sees a ghostly appearance of Midnight, she’s sure she has lost her mind, but soon realizes he has returned to find his killer.

She decides not to tell anyone about Midnight’s new status as a ghost for fear that people will think she’s crazy. Instead, Christy pays close attention to the clues Midnight leads her to. She’s not sure how long Midnight will be by her side, but she’s happy to have him in any form for as long as she can.

Lincoln informs Christy that Cora left part of the secondhand shop to her and she’s stunned. Cora has a couple of distant relatives who might give her problems, but for now, Christy agrees to run the place. Along with Midnight, she’s determined to find out who killed him and Cora. Her investigation leads her in a dangerous direction and suddenly running a secondhand shop is not so safe.

I wasn’t sure how I’d like this book since it features a heroine grieving for her cat. However, the book didn’t begin until after the murders occurred. So, I was able to get through that but it was kind of hard at first. That aside, this was a fast read. By the time I got to the last page, I was surprised that it was over. It’s 164 pages and they zoomed right by.

The characters and setting were perfect for a cozy mystery. It took some time for me to like the heroine, but once the story got going, I warmed up to her. It helped that there was some romance hinted between Christy and Lincoln. I absolutely loved the secondary characters.

The story itself was a good one, not very complex and I really wasn’t surprised at how it ended. However, it all made sense and fit well together. I’m already planning to read the next book in the series.





For reading challenges:
2014 E-Book Reading Challenge
Where are you reading? challenge (North Carolina)
2014 My Kind Of Mystery Reading Challenge
What An Animal Reading Challenge?

FTC Disclosure: This is a book I purchased for my own enjoyment. This did not influence my thoughts and opinions in any way. All opinions expressed are my own.

9 comments:

  1. Sometimes I do not need complex :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! Sometimes the complicated stories make my head spin. LOL

      Delete
  2. First I thought that would be too sad ..but reading on, this sounds actually quite uplifting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was my first thought too - very sad. Maybe too sad, but it wasn't. It helped that we didn't actually read about the scene where the cat was killed.

      Delete
  3. I'm glad it wasn't too sad, because it sounds like an interesting mystery with a ghost kitty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was interesting. I even downloaded a sample of book #2 from Amazon and that seems like it might be even better than the first.

      Delete
  4. A ghost kitty? I'm not sure about that but I might give this one a try. I'm curious though, why did you have trouble warming up to Christy? That might affect my decision to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She kind of felt cold to me at first. Sometimes brand new character in a brand new series can feel kind of stiff, but it didn't take long to warm up to her at all.

      Delete
  5. Maybe cats really do have nine lives :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and visiting my blog! I always love reading comments and getting to know my readers!

After some careful consideration, I've decided to become an award-free blog. Although I appreciate and am honored by each and every award I've received, your comments and friendship are enough award for me. Thank you all so much for your thoughtfulness.

Due to way too many spam comments, I disabled the Anonymous User comments. We'll see if this works, otherwise I'll have to go back to word verification.