Friday, July 20, 2018

Review: The Subway Girls by Susie Orman Schnall



Genre:
Fiction

Format:
E-ARC

Publisher:
St. Martin’s Griffin

Release Date:
July 10, 2018







Synopsis from Goodreads:

In 1949, dutiful and ambitious Charlotte's dream of a career in advertising is shattered when her father demands she help out with the family business. Meanwhile, Charlotte is swept into the glamorous world of the Miss Subways beauty contest, which promises irresistible opportunities with its Park Avenue luster and local fame status. But when her new friend—the intriguing and gorgeous fellow-participant Rose—does something unforgivable, Charlotte must make a heart-wrenching decision that will change the lives of those around her forever.

Nearly 70 years later, outspoken advertising executive Olivia is pitching the NYC subways account in a last ditch effort to save her job at an advertising agency. When the charismatic boss she’s secretly in love with pits her against her misogynistic nemesis, Olivia’s urgent search for the winning strategy leads her to the historic Miss Subways campaign. As the pitch date closes in on her, Olivia finds herself dealing with a broken heart, an unlikely new love interest, and an unexpected personal connection to Miss Subways that could save her job—and her future.

The Subway Girls is the charming story of two strong women, a generation apart, who find themselves up against the same eternal struggle to find an impossible balance between love, happiness, and ambition.


My Review

The Subway Girls alternates it’s time between Charlotte’s life in 1949 and Olivia’s life in 2018. Essentially they have similar goals, but their time periods are quite different. Although in many ways quite the same. Each woman is fighting for her rights in the best way she can for the era she lives in.

The one common goal that can help each of them is a contest that took place in the 1940’s to 1970’s called Miss Subways. This is an actual competition that occurred in New York City during that time frame and it’s incorporated into this fictionalized story.  The author does a wonderful job of mixing actual history with fiction.

As a native New Yorker, I was immediately interested in this book. Who doesn’t enjoy books set in their hometown? To make it even more enticing to me is that both girls are from Brooklyn, which I’m from as well. I could easily transport myself right into the middle of it all.

I never read anything by Susie Orman Schnall before, but this book won me over. The characters are vividly portrayed and leap right out of the pages. The author paints a realistic portrayal of New York.

This book has everything from drama, romance, and even a couple of eye-opening twists. I knew some surprises were coming, but I wasn’t quite sure how it all would work out.  It tugs at your heartstrings.  My eyes were blurred with tears by the end.  I can't say enough good things about this book.

I devoured it in a couple of days and could not put it down. I will go as far as saying this is my favorite book of 2018, so far. If I could give it more than five stars, I would. I’m so glad I found this little gem.







FTC Disclosure: I voluntarily reviewed an Advance Reader Copy of this book from NetGalley and the publisher. I was not required to write a positive review. All opinions expressed are my own.

1 comment:

  1. This book really sounds wonderful, Yvonne! I didn't know you were from Brooklyn! I'm also from NY (Manhattan).

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and visiting my blog! I always love reading comments and getting to know my readers!

After some careful consideration, I've decided to become an award-free blog. Although I appreciate and am honored by each and every award I've received, your comments and friendship are enough award for me. Thank you all so much for your thoughtfulness.

Due to way too many spam comments, I disabled the Anonymous User comments. We'll see if this works, otherwise I'll have to go back to word verification.