Friday, March 15, 2024

Book Beginnings on Fridays/The Friday 56 - March 15th





This week I'm joining in Book Beginnings on Friday. It's hosted by Rose City Reader.  This is where we post the beginning of the books we are reading or will be reading.  






I'm also joining in for the Friday 56.  

Freda at Freda's Voice started and hosted The Friday 56 for a long, long time. She is taking a break and Anne at My Head if Full of Books has taken on hosting duties in her absence. Please visit Anne's blog and link to your Friday 56 post.


Rules:
*Grab a book, any book.
*Turn to page 56 or 56% in your eReader.
*Find any sentence that grabs you.
*Post it.
*Link it here.

It's that simple.



This is a short prequel I just started to a cozy mystery series, A Mollie McGhie Cozy Sailing Mystery.  I hope to read the first full length book soon.







Book Beginnings

As I waited for the referee to signal the start of the match, I wondered what my mother would think if she could see how I was dressed - a turquoise 1950s diner style waitress outfit with the number 51 on the back, purple and white striped knee socks over fishnet stockings, a helmet, kneepads, and roller skates. 

From 56% on my e-reader 

I was torn.  Misty was my friend, a friend in a very desperate situation. 

Synopsis from Goodreads:

When Mollie joined a roller derby team, she thought she only needed to worry about bumps and bruises. But when something valuable is stolen from the locker room, she decides to investigate and find the culprit.

In between identifying suspects, working at a mind-numbing temp job, and skating practice, she also meets a guy who just might change her view on blind dates.

As Mollie pursues her investigation, not everyone is thrilled when she starts asking one too many questions.

Can Mollie skate her way out of danger? Or will her nosiness be the death of her?

Robbery at the Roller Derby is a prequel novella to the Mollie McGhie Cozy Sailing Mysteries, a whimsical series with a nautical twist.

What do you think?  What are you sharing today?



9 comments:

  1. Very colorful costume. I wish I could go and see her in real life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oof series come with prequels now? I'm still getting used to seeing books marked as 0.5 or 1.5 in a series, when they're in-between novellas xD But this sounds fun and I've always wanted to see a proper roller derby, so that's a great setting! I hope you have a lovely weekend :)
    Juli @ A Universe in Words

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's an outfit! Yes, I wonder what her mom would think.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, this book sounds like it would be a fun read.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't heard of this one before. It seems interesting, and I like the snippets.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks good. I used to have similar skates in the 1980's. XO

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh! I love that opening! I can just picture it. This sounds fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My daughter tried to join the roller derby, but ended up moving away before she got too much into it.

    It sounds like she's got her work cut out for her, and the outfit, wow.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't think I've ever read a book involving roller derby. This looks like fun!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and visiting my blog! I always love reading comments and getting to know my readers!

After some careful consideration, I've decided to become an award-free blog. Although I appreciate and am honored by each and every award I've received, your comments and friendship are enough award for me. Thank you all so much for your thoughtfulness.

Due to way too many spam comments, I disabled the Anonymous User comments. We'll see if this works, otherwise I'll have to go back to word verification.