Thursday, January 1, 2009

Good In Bed by Jennifer Weiner


Genre: Chick Lit

Candice "Cannie" Shapiro is stunned when she opens her copy of the women's magazine "Moxie" and turns to the "Good in Bed" column. The column is written by her former boyfriend, Bruce, and it's obviously about her. He proclaims how difficult it was to be in love with an overweight woman. Cannie is more than stunned, she's deeply hurt that a man she loved should do this to her and in such a public venue. Sure, they were on a "break" from their relationship, initiated by her, but this was just cruel.

Cannie is reminded of her less-than-happy relationship with her father, who walked out on her family without ever turning back. She has seen her mother find love and happiness with another woman, but her own feelings of unworthiness come to the surface after reading Bruce's hurtful words. We see Cannie try and get her life back in order by going to a weight-loss program and trying to sell her screenplay. She strives for her own happiness and it's a long, hard struggle.

This story has a crazy cast of characters. Readers will identify with Cannie's very realistic problems that many experience every day. Cannie tackles them with both humor and tears. She will have you laughing out loud one minute and sobbing the next.

I found this audio book easy to listen to and the narrator made the character come to life. This is the first Jennifer Weiner book I listened to and it won't be my last. She is an author that knows how to tell a good story and keep the reader wanting more.

3 comments:

  1. I've seen this book around, it does sound good.
    great review :)
    http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard wonderful things about this book and am so glad to hear you enjoyed it. I will have to give it a try! Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just found out there is a follow up book to this. I'm going to see if my library has an audio of it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and visiting my blog! I always love reading comments and getting to know my readers!

After some careful consideration, I've decided to become an award-free blog. Although I appreciate and am honored by each and every award I've received, your comments and friendship are enough award for me. Thank you all so much for your thoughtfulness.

Due to way too many spam comments, I disabled the Anonymous User comments. We'll see if this works, otherwise I'll have to go back to word verification.